Looks like i got the Performance bug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travieso

Boooooooost !
Reaction score
in search for the perfect cam for a 5.3 Streetable SUV what i need is the following can anyone recommend me a good cam

1. low to mid range torque we all know these trucks suffer torque from 1k - 4000K rpm range
2. I commute 55-60 miles per day
3. not to loopy but not to quite.
4. Push rod, springs gaskets etc

I got one of my boys selling me this cam
http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2023&gid=288
is this a good cam ? ^^^^^^^
this cam came off a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Truck

with ported 706 heads and beehive springs everything for 350.00 dollars is this a good deal (with the exchange of my stock heads)
do i need to worry how many miles his old heads have and what should i look out for ?

this will be my first internal mods done ever to a car or truck so bear with with

Current mods our on my sig.. thanks Travieso

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally speak it as it is... But honest to god, that a EXCELLENT cam for your trucks. Its about the specs Im putting in my VMAX 6.0 actually. So it will act bigger in a 5.3 but still hauld major ass, increase midrage tq and hp as well. Im estimating 400hp to the wheels or near it in a 6.0 so with the 5.3 its going to be damn near. I would not go any bigger on the cam.

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MAST performance makes a few cams for these engines and supposedly they make 40-50+trq in the midrange. Might wanna check them out too but the deal you got worked out is hard to beat!

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO you wont get anything out of that cam below 2500-3000 rpm.It would need to have a 3k stall converter behind it to make it worth while..You could do that deal and trade or sell the cam if you didnt want it...

Comp offer's 2 cams that would work real good with a stock converter,stock LS6 yellow springs/pushrods..The 206/212 (XR259) and the 212/218 (XR265),both of those will be good all around...
As far as gaskets go your going to need the following to do a cam swap-water pump,front cover,valve cover,valley cover (if you pull it off)..
Other parts id recommend are a new crank pulley bolt,LS7 lifters,LS2 timing chain..

hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the LS engines like to rev and make power at higher RPM's, which means TC and gears. The TR220 would only enhance those higher RPM's, IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts