Maybe not all 6.2's have the bad lifter bore/ bearing wear issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TKOd Silverado

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Since I have a diesel, I am somewhat of a disinterested 3rd party, but as a general question are the 5.3 engines exhibiting any all or some of the same issues lifters or thrust bearings, of the 6.2? If you were buying one today, and you had a choice, would you take a 5.3 over a 6.2? Or is there really no difference and they are all a crapshoot.......
i read somewhere along the line on the interwebs a GM mechanic indicated that for every 10 lifter jobs he does, 7 or 8 of them are on 5.3's.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Spanish: lo barato, sale caro.
In English: What starts out cheap, turns out expensive.

Strongly suspect that GM tried to 'pinch a penny' somewhere (head castings?), and they are now regretting it.
Pennywise, pound foolish ... an ounce of prevention is often worth a pound (sterling) of cure ... etc ...

PPK_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i have had 3 5.3s.. the current 2023 tahoe has 4300 miles on it. at 1k miles i changed out to 5 30 pennzoil... and added a big magnetic on the oil drain so i can see what issues you have with iron. maybe some issue with hardening for instance... what i can say.. this engine is mexico made. my prior '18 was a ny engine. i think the ny was better. nothing wrong with current but the ny engine was really nothing.. on the magnets. nothing... even my 2.7 ford is less than this latest 5.3. we will see how the next change is on this 5.3... i put the ford on there to see...

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 65746840470__E0E70ECF-AEEC-48CF-8D65-DB668EAE20D8.jpeg
    65746840470__E0E70ECF-AEEC-48CF-8D65-DB668EAE20D8.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
i read somewhere along the line on the interwebs a GM mechanic indicated that for every 10 lifter jobs he does, 7 or 8 of them are on 5.3's.

That kinda makes sense because there are probably 7 or 8 of the 5.3 engines out there for every 1 of the 6.2 engines.

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
i have had 3 5.3s.. the current 2023 tahoe has 4300 miles on it. at 1k miles i changed out to 5 30 pennzoil... and added a big magnetic on the oil drain so i can see what issues you have with iron. maybe some issue with hardening for instance... what i can say.. this engine is mexico made. my prior '18 was a ny engine. i think the ny was better. nothing wrong with current but the ny engine was really nothing.. on the magnets. nothing... even my 2.7 ford is less than this latest 5.3. we will see how the next change is on this 5.3... i put the ford on there to see...

Ever heard of fiiltermag (line below to what I'm talking about). Seems way less risky that inserting a magnet thats only helo in place with epoxy into the actual pan. These just attached the side of the oil filter and retain all the metal in there.

I cut open every filter to inspect the inside after an oil change anyway (using a tool similar to the one linked below) and you can see the fitlermags work as there are distinct lines of crap on the inside right where they were the magnets were stuck on the outside.

OP
OP
Antonm

Antonm

Reaction score
That's depressing.Great idea, but there's gotta be a cheaper source for magnets.

Oh for sure, the filter mag is just paying for convenience, like buying bottled water at the gas station vs grocery store, same bottle of water , but the gas station charges twice as much.