Passenger side rear upper shock bolt - HOW??!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkstar72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I spent an hour messing with that pig and there is no combination of extensions, sockets, etc that I could get on that damn bolt with the rear a/c lines and that goddamn wire harness on the frame. I give up. It will be going into the shop hopefully next week. Any chance a dealership will actually just install the shocks I already bought? I did get genuine GM rear magneride shocks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I spent an hour messing with that pig and there is no combination of extensions, sockets, etc that I could get on that damn bolt with the rear a/c lines and that goddamn wire harness on the frame. I give up. It will be going into the shop hopefully next week. Any chance a dealership will actually just install the shocks I already bought? I did get genuine GM rear magneride shocks.
pull the right rear wheel off, remove the splash shield, attach a impact to the bolt and hit it a few times if it doesn't just come loose then stick a large flathead up in the backside and hold it a little, shouldn't be that hard the only thing I see that might be in the way is the wire harness which should just be held in a plastic clip on the top of the frame that you can pry up.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was extremely annoying to do mine almost a month ago. It reminded me of swapping shackles on truck beds and if I hadn't done that a bunch of times I'd probably have had a much harder time. You definitely have to do some finger/hand acrobatics or just have a tool that fits particularly well in there. I don't remember exactly how I did mine but I *think* it was my 1/2" ratchet with a swivel and then deep socket up on the inside and impact on the outside.

I can recommend the Duralast swivel adapters from AutoZone they've survived my impact guns for years now.

OP
OP
Darkstar72

Darkstar72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did have the wheel liner removed and even went as far to take the heat shield off by the spare tire for more room to swing a ratchet around. The only way I can think of is either a 21 mm offset box end wrench on the inside and impact the nut off the outside. Possible to get a long thin ratchet up in the cavity up to the bolt and hope to lock it onto a socket with more acrobatics. It’s too hot down here to keep messing with it.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can agree with you about it being too hot for sure. You're not in Oklahoma are you? I would almost be tempted to help despite knowing how brutal it is outside especially the next few days.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's pretty much been 110 here for like 10 days straight, finally dropped to 94 today because it's slightly overcast

OP
OP
Darkstar72

Darkstar72

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Victory is mine! Had a good think on it yesterday after mowing the lawn. Finally got that sucker. Drivers side took all of like 15 minutes.

Got it done before the sun goes start scorching us here in South Carolina today. We have been over 95 for at least 2 weeks now. Summer is not my favorite.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Victory is mine! Had a good think on it yesterday after mowing the lawn. Finally got that sucker. Drivers side took all of like 15 minutes.

Got it done before the sun goes start scorching us here in South Carolina today. We have been over 95 for at least 2 weeks now. Summer is not my favorite.
Good job brutha…. Sometimes ya just gotta step back for a few….

number9

Reaction score
Just did mine today and thought the same thing. Tried several different lengths of extensions & sockets until I found a length that would fit. Held the bolt with the ratchet and used a 7/8" box wrench to remove the nut. Done from laying on my back under the truck, didn't want to mess with pulling the fender liners if I didn't have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonfiber2002