Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alrighty, time to try something new.... until i can mechanically help with traction.

i think gearing it lower will "slow" down the rpm climb and possibly keep the boost under control, which i can play with launch rpm to get it moving better. ive found out that new-new-new-new-bs hd trucks use a 3.42 in the 9.25ifs - guessing with the 10 speed? theres one on ebay now for like 950shipped. more that id like to spend but an aam gear set is like $400bux and to have someone set it up would be another 250-300. so id be into my old one for 700$ anyway the way im looking at it. if i can ****** one up with 3.42s around $500 would be nice to put a locker in.

every run essentially does below. rolls out to 25ish mph and then cooks the tire as the boost rolls in (yellow arrow). 3800rpm on the 2step/ kinda low overall boost but trying to get the 60' figured out so not too concerned. i know it runs on the top end. at 3800 its only leaving on like 3-4lbs of boost.

so i identified the points in the tune and pulled a degree of timing out just before it spins (5600rpm) and then 2 degrees where it peaks (about 6400rpm) and faded it in and out of those points. on a run where everything goes well, the rest of the time its in a higher loaded cell so i wont have to worry about the timing being down in the higher gears.

ddfsdf1.jpg

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.42 or higher would prolly be good... you are at 4.10/4.11 now, right?

i had a mustang that came w/ 4.56... it was ridiculous, i could start in 4th or 5th.
changed to 3.27 & it was a more manageable monster ;)

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is smoking pretty bad... lol

not too sure why though. i pulled the downpipe last weekend hoping it was that as said above but looked clean, sooty but not burnt oil dirty.
pulled the charge pipe and its clean (so not coming from front side of turbo).
theres no pcv so its not sucking oil back in that way.
when i did the heads i loaded up the rocker bolts with black rtv where they poke into the intake ports...the exhaust bolts dont protrude into the ports.
plugs look great, definitely not burning oil in the chambers
might pull the exhaust manifolds and see if an exhaust valve seal is leaking right into the ex port and burning/smoking?

and ctsv is getting new converter, just heard this morning - so prob not going to see it for another week or two atleast :banghead:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is smoking pretty bad... lol

not too sure why though. i pulled the downpipe last weekend hoping it was that as said above but looked clean, sooty but not burnt oil dirty.
pulled the charge pipe and its clean (so not coming from front side of turbo).
theres no pcv so its not sucking oil back in that way.
when i did the heads i loaded up the rocker bolts with black rtv where they poke into the intake ports...the exhaust bolts dont protrude into the ports.
plugs look great, definitely not burning oil in the chambers
might pull the exhaust manifolds and see if an exhaust valve seal is leaking right into the ex port and burning/smoking?

and ctsv is getting new converter, just heard this morning - so prob not going to see it for another week or two atleast :banghead:
Is the converter going out or is this a TSB or something?

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it gives you any piece of mind, they flushed my 2018 z71 colorado with the 8sp twice and the shudder was still there a little bit. Drove me nuts, a new converter would have fixed it but they were waffling around. I sold the truck anyways because used truck prices were/are insane.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it gives you any piece of mind, they flushed my 2018 z71 colorado with the 8sp twice and the shudder was still there a little bit. Drove me nuts, a new converter would have fixed it but they were waffling around. I sold the truck anyways because used truck prices were/are insane.

Yea I've heard the fluid change usually does the trick, I guess they think it needs a converter, not sure if they tried the flush and fill first and still did it. Mostly just wanting it good before I start the mods

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well...not sure if i feel like a dumbass or not cause i got the headers off, crossover/wastegates out, pulled all the plugs, and everything looks 100%. theres a light coat of soot on most of the ports as it should be. inside the header tubes almost look too clean to me, but its 99% on e85, no pcv. the fuel trims are right on the money idling, its running awesome.

ive seen it "smoke" before and my original thought was that the a2w was condensating inside the intercooler. when i leave it idling with the chiller going to work it would start as the temp dropped because there really isnt much flow across the intercooler idling. not sure if im underestimating how much liquid is actually coming off on the inside. the back ports are cleaner, which the way the engine leans back any puddling would run to the back

i needed to pull the crossover to replace the alternator anyway, so not a complete waste

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well...not sure if i feel like a dumbass or not cause i got the headers off, crossover/wastegates out, pulled all the plugs, and everything looks 100%. theres a light coat of soot on most of the ports as it should be. inside the header tubes almost look too clean to me, but its 99% on e85, no pcv. the fuel trims are right on the money idling, its running awesome.

ive seen it "smoke" before and my original thought was that the a2w was condensating inside the intercooler. when i leave it idling with the chiller going to work it would start as the temp dropped because there really isnt much flow across the intercooler idling. not sure if im underestimating how much liquid is actually coming off on the inside. the back ports are cleaner, which the way the engine leans back any puddling would run to the back

i needed to pull the crossover to replace the alternator anyway, so not a complete waste
:happy107:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DMCO