Remove roof-rack.....COMPLETELY?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to Ace Hardware yesterday and bought 10 little plastic inserts and put them in. They are not flushed but close enough and should help prevent any water getting in. I removed my rack to do the mod gdddup did(bootleg esky rack) but liked the way it looked without the rack. I'm about 30% done with it so the other 70% will be done here and there until it's ready to be put back on.

What did you use to seal the holes other than just the plugs? I'm assuming just the plugs wouldn't make it water tight but maybe they would...

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you use to seal the holes other than just the plugs? I'm assuming just the plugs wouldn't make it water tight but maybe they would...[/QUOT

As of now I only have the plugs, need to figure out what i can use to finish the seal. However it doesn't look like very much water at all would get in to be to concerned about.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
this is what i used. You should be able to find them at any hardware store

picture.php

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sumo...did you put silicone around it or anything to prevent water from leaking into the whole?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why do you want to take it off?

Cleans up the lines a lot! I may eventually throw on an ESV roof rack but am tossing around running without a roof rack for a while first. But do NOT want water getting in as a result.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Sumo...did you put silicone around it or anything to prevent water from leaking into the whole?

no as i have the esky racks on it now. You could put silicone on it for added security

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the racks that I have removed both nbs/nnbs have used rivnuts. Looking at them the bottom is not open ended, where the water/leaking issue occurs is around the edge of the rivnut where it contacts the roof sheetmetal. Not all will leak, I have a friend that has been running rack-less for over a year with no leaking and all he did was remove the rack...no silicone, no pushpins/x-mas trees, nada, zip, etc.

Able6Romeo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
KMeloney-you wouldn't happen to have pictures of your roof AFTER you removed the stock rack? And pics of the holes filled and/or plugged? Thanks for any support.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian