Replace 31 gallon tank with 39 gallon tank from 2500 series Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dictum

Reaction score
Not too happy with the MPG/gas tank size in my 2013 Yukon XL. When it reads empty, I can only put in about 25g and it is a 31 gallon tank. Something is off.

Possible to swap in the bigger 39 gallon tank from the 2500-series into my 1500 Yukon Denali XL? What models carry the 39 gallon tank? what years of Silverado/Suburban/Yukon XL?
Can I assume the mount points are the same and can it work?

I also want to put in a newer fuel pump because this one has 200K on it and is original, to preempt failure.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too happy with the MPG/gas tank size in my 2013 Yukon XL. When it reads empty, I can only put in about 25g and it is a 31 gallon tank. Something is off.

Possible to swap in the bigger 39 gallon tank from the 2500-series into my 1500 Yukon Denali XL? What models carry the 39 gallon tank? what years of Silverado/Suburban/Yukon XL?

I also want to put in a newer fuel pump because this one has 200K on it and is original, to preempt failure.
The 2500 Suburbans have a dual tank setup (with a fuel pump/sender in each tank). The auxiliary tank is like 7 gallons, and main tank is 30 gallons(?)

The system is kinda more complicated because you have an extra relay for the auxiliary tank, there's extra wiring and it's tied into the cluster for the fuel level (via the Class 2 data bus system or whatever that thing is called?)

If you study the wiring diagrams, I'm sure it's possible to swap the dual tank setup. I can't remember if HP Tuners has any sort of settings to enable dual tanks on the ECU side of things...I can check.

OP
OP
D

dictum

Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket single tank? You mean to tell me that 2500 Yukons /Burbs have dual tanks also? Is there a single 40-gallon tank in the GM lineup which would fit in the 2013 Yukon XL?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an aftermarket single tank? You mean to tell me that 2500 Yukons /Burbs have dual tanks also? Is there a single 40-gallon tank in the GM lineup which would fit in the 2013 Yukon XL?
Never heard of one, doesn't mean they don't exist though, with as many times as people have tried to even buy a new gas tank it would have came up by now.

15burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you ever ran it completely empty and see how many gallons it takes to fill up? My mom had a mid 00's grand cherokee and although she didn't have live to far from her work (roughly 5 miles) she would drive that thing when it said 0 miles to empty for 2-3 days along with other errands.

Me, after 2-3 hours in any vehicle I need to get out, stretch my legs, and drain a different tank.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
once the low fuel light comes on you should be able to toogle thru the dic and find a menu that shows the remaining miles, run that down until it just says low then you should still have 3-4 miles. then fill it up. about the most mine has ever taken is close to 30 gal

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My fuel sender is like yours, I can drive all day when it says empty. Typical fills are 25-26 gallons, most ever was just under 30.

The 2500s have a deeper frame, they run a 26 gallon tank up front and an 11 and change gallon tank above the spare tire. It's too big to put in our 2500s without removing the spare and crossmember, not to mention the complex computer programming to get everything working as it should.

Gasoline fuel tanks are considered part of the emissions system now and the aftermarket won't touch it with a ten foot pole because of the feds.

Some company made a round fuel tank that took the place of the spare but getting that fuel into the main tank was cumbersome.

The GMT400s had a 42 gallon tank behind the rear axle, their spare rode in the back of the truck.

On the highway my truck burns about 4-5 gallons per hour between 70-80 mph. That's over 7 hours at the slower speed and just shy of six hours at the faster speed. We routinely run about 450 miles on a tank using 25 gallons. Furthest I've run on 27 gallons was 515 miles. She can go further than I or my passengers can endure. That reality caused me to abandon my quest for more capacity. If I really need more capacity, I've got six 5 gallon Wavian Jerry cans that can go in the back and won't stink up the interior.

With VVT, your truck ought to be more fuel efficient than mine by a solid 1 mile per gallon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilithMoon