Replacing lower intake gaskset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't tap the holes, you're not going to get a good torque reading...

And what chemicals are you using that melt through zip-loc bags? More importantly, why are you leaving that chemical on the bolts? I supposed a cardboard box is going to stop those chemicals?

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so Ill be towing the hoe home on Wednesday and will get to work on it Thursday or Friday. What will I need to get for the materials when I run to Napa? Will Napa have new bolts that I can pick up or will I have to special order them?

SeriousSide97

Reaction score
yea replace ur bolts, get new valce cover and lower gasket. get head gaskets too hell. I wouldnt tap em , but Id put new bolts in and problaly paint your valve covers when u take em off. I did

ChrisAU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the bolts they should all be the same, though on my TBI they are all different lengths so I reused the old ones and ran them through a die.

A tap doesn't cost more than $5-$8 and takes maybe a minute per hole to do, and properly torquing the bolts down is an integral part of the durability and effectiveness of the new gasket. You aren't tapping new holes in bare metal, you are simply using the tap to scrape out the muck and old thread sealant so that your new bolts will get a true torque reading.

gmcconvert

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so what ever happened? did you fix it? i just did mine so was wondering how it went. cylinder head gaskets too.

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok sorry guys it's been a while. My Christmas break ended up being really crazy and I only had time to partially take apart the engine. Now I am back home through Monday evening and I plan on finishing my truck. As of right now it is completely apart and the gasket is broken right where the guide said it would be, so yes it's definitely the lower intake gasket that failed. The whole valve channels and insides are a mess from all the coolant. Lots of cleaning up to do tomorrow. Haha. So basically I am working on my truck all day tomorrow and I have a few questions.

1. What is the best way to clean up the gasket surfaces beyond a razor scraper? Should I buy any solvents or anything? I am going to lowes tomorrow to buy tools so any suggestions are great.

2. I marked the distributor to help realign it, but how do I go about resetting the cam timing when everything is done? The guide said that you can't use a timing light on these trucks and it has to be done with a scanner? Is this something I can do or should I have a shop do this? Also, will the truck be drivable at all without immidiately retiming it?

The new gaskets are felpro also which is nice. One last thing is how long do I have to let the new sealant sit and cure before the truck can be started? Thank you!

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well none of my questions got answered, but despite you lazy bastards I still got the hoe all put back together and running right :) I spent about 20 hours doing the whole thing in our little tiny ass garage, but it was not problem since I went slow and took a few pictures of the layout. I have never torn into this engine at all, or any other V8 engine for that matter. I learned a ton and I bet I could do it again in less than half the time. I drove up to Tallahassee last night and it was perfect! I honestly think that she runs a little better and smoother now :)

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's ok man :) Haha. I still got it done! My question now is how do I have the cam timing set? Do I have to have it reset? I have been driving it and it seems like it runs perfect, but I know I may still have to have it done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevpar