Replacing shocks - Delco or Arnott for softer ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstrong29er

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2011 LTZ with the Z55 autoride is at 100k.

- ride is feeling rickety
- service suspension light is on (sensor on rear shock bad)
- i only drive on pavement and looking for smoother ride

Question is
- better to just replace w OEM Delco and not bypass the stock systems?
- or replace with Arnott shocks/struts (which I understand bypass stock systems)

I'm able to do the install myself.

Thanks for the feedback!

(Lots of previous posts on this topic but didn't see any that address this specifically.)

zbest4me

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same exact question.
I have 2013 LTZ with factory 20's
Come on guys what's the answer?

OP
OP
B

bstrong29er

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
actually I had to find the answer the hard way. I ordered the aftermarket shocks with which bypass the auto ride and it felt like crap. Ended up buying the AC Delco's from GM parts direct.com. Feels like new.

OP
OP
B

bstrong29er

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
actually I had to find the answer the hard way. I ordered the aftermarket shocks with which bypass the auto ride and it felt like crap. Ended up buying the AC Delco's from GM parts direct.com. Feels like new.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what Arnott shock you purchase. The "passive" shock (AS-2700) bypasses the electronic valve controls. The "active" Arnott shock (AS-2708) still uses the electronic valve controls. Both still have the air auto-leveling. If you buy Arnott, I would purchase directly from them to reduce problems if you were to warranty them.

OP
OP
B

bstrong29er

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ZBest4ME......keep in mind many guys on the boards are down on AC Delco and push Arnott pretty hard. If you are looking to get your ride back to the stock suspension, I would stick with Delco.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZBest4ME......keep in mind many guys on the boards are down on AC Delco and push Arnott pretty hard. If you are looking to get your ride back to the stock suspension, I would stick with Delco.

Agreed, Arnott says they rebuild the old Delphi shock installing a new air bag. I emailed them to define rebuild. What they do is paint a core shock, test it, and just put a new bag on it, no new seals, valves or rod guides. So the shock could have over 100k on it with just new paint and air bag. For a little extra I would go with the new ACDelco shock (BWI).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo