Rocket Man's 02 Denali Build Thread AKA "THE BEAST"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Data log number 2 sent to Justin. I was able to get the truck to shut off again when I got back home, after the trans did it’s thing. Shifted into park and it died like the ignition was turned off and back on- the battery light was on and the stereo rebooted again. I kept logging as it did it, and I started it and after a couple times cycling the shifter lever it did it again. I tried wiggling things, banging on things ( the @Tonyrodz repair method) and nothing. Then I couldn’t get it to do it again. Weird. I offered to pay Justin for his time since this isn’t tune related and this extra work isn’t included in the price of a tune anyway. I’m going to try to wait until I hear back from Justin before I swap out the ECM. The laptop will be delivered Thursday. Man I just need to know what to do to troubleshoot this, it’s starting to drive me cray cray. :crazy:

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, the ignition shutting off has only happened after the trans fails. Never before the trans problems has this happened, and only once the trans is in limp mode has it happened. So weird. I’m still hoping it’s the ECU.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Data log number 2 sent to Justin. I was able to get the truck to shut off again when I got back home, after the trans did it’s thing. Shifted into park and it died like the ignition was turned off and back on- the battery light was on and the stereo rebooted again. I kept logging as it did it, and I started it and after a couple times cycling the shifter lever it did it again. I tried wiggling things, banging on things ( the @Tonyrodz repair method) and nothing. Then I couldn’t get it to do it again. Weird. I offered to pay Justin for his time since this isn’t tune related and this extra work isn’t included in the price of a tune anyway. I’m going to try to wait until I hear back from Justin before I swap out the ECM. The laptop will be delivered Thursday. Man I just need to know what to do to troubleshoot this, it’s starting to drive me cray cray. :crazy:
You gotta bisch slap it. Let it know who's in charge! Slap it like it owes you money dammit! :slap:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thinking out-loud.
* Trans acting up.
* Electrical issue when going into park.
* Doesn't seem to be column related but could be related to anything that moves when shifting into park.

What else moves when shifting into park and is it related to the electrical and trans control system?

Just following the bread crumbs a bit.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking out-loud.
* Trans acting up.
* Electrical issue when going into park.
* Doesn't seem to be column related but could be related to anything that moves when shifting into park.

What else moves when shifting into park and is it related to the electrical and trans control system?

Just following the bread crumbs a bit.
The neutral safety switch for one. I replaced that with a new GM Genuine one last time the trans was out, 1 1/2 years ago. I suppose it could be shorting out or the connector is.

OP
OP
Rocket Man

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But also, the other day I had the Tech2 hooked up when the trans did it’s thing and I was manually shifting - it would only shift down to 2nd and up to third no matter if I moved the lever to 1 or D. I could see on the Tech2 the NSS switch moving between 1,2,3 and D as well as the same thing on the TFP switch which is in the trans on the valve body. I was reading the TFP switch manually controls the valves. Anyway, it was working but as you can see the trans is in 3rd. Which is also to note- no matter if it was manually put into 2nd via the shift lever ( I can feel it shift down when I move the lever to 1 or 2 but I can tell it’s not 1st) it always shows it’s in 3rd on the Tech2 when it’s in failure mode. Even if I know it’s 2nd. CBD286F5-29B2-4D43-885D-E51FCACDA137.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjbtn1036