"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am now a victim. 4wd service error pops up every time I start my 2015 Yukon xl denai.
500kms only in 6 weeks of ownership.

I have always kept it in AUTO and soon as the cold weather came in... 4wd service error always comes in when I start the truck.

I will have to talk to my dealership on Canada. Can anyone recommend any fixes?
They will relearn the transfer case in 5 minutes and you good to go.

dirt-diver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No fix yet

The dealer will reprogram the module that controls the transfer case (I think that's what it does at least) and it seems like that's the end of it.

Unfortunately, not the end of it. There is no true fix as of yet. The quick reprogram will simply get it out of 4WD. If you use 'auto' mode again, it can and probably will get stuck in 4WD once again.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, not the end of it. There is no true fix as of yet. The quick reprogram will simply get it out of 4WD. If you use 'auto' mode again, it can and probably will get stuck in 4WD once again.

Oh crap, I thought, from following this thread, that GM had finally found a new flash for the controller that was actually working! Are you still having issues?

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 4000 miles I got the Service 4wd error once again. And now when I put my car into park and turn off my car I feel a hard thump in my car. I am not sure if it is the transmission or something else.

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My latest update is working, so I think GM got this problem solved, make sure your service department has the latest updates and you should be good to go.

sub08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
"Service 4WD"

Got mine mid August and have 5300 miles to date.

I had same issue "service 4WD", 4Wd being active on 2WD mode.

I reset it by disconnected the negative terminal of the battery for a minutes and reconnected it. It stayed on 2WD but the Service 4WD comes up after every startup.

Will try to send it to the dealer for update and hope it works.

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My too looks like they have solve. [emoji53] [emoji567]

So you're sad that it's solved?? :think: ...or did you just choose the incorrect smilies on accident?

Reaction score
Well just over 3k miles and the tahoe just popped the service 4wd error and is stuck in 4wd...oh fun...first problem with this tahoe...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk