"Service 4WD" - Master Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Terrell2014

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Copy this from my post in general forum. New here. Yeah. 964 mile an it started for me.

((( Backing out of the parking spot it seemed 4 wd was engaged. you know that binding/grinding tire sound on dry pavement thats horrible. Anyhow the vehicle dash then popped up with Service4 wheel drive light on info center.
I was in Auto. I tried going to 2 wheel drive. Tired 4 low, 4 hi. None of the lights on the selector switch lit up other than auto. On-Star was of no help- at ALL.

Fortunately I "know" my sales guy and texted him of my issue, he was out with guys from the dealership and had a tech call me right then at the parking lot I was sitting in (now thats service). We worked thru it with a few suggestions and no go- it was in what we assume 4 Hi. I had to drive home 68 miles like this. straight was fine, turns were pretty nasty filled with grinding noise and that 4wd on dry road feeling.

I am sure it's some goofy switch? Maybe a software thing? but with 964 miles on the clock I'd expect none of these issues? I love my vehicle- but is this the ride I am in for the next 100,000 miles? Anyone else have issues this early in ownership?))))

And more from General thread.

((((((Just got my vehicle back from Dealer. Talked to the tech, he said it was a known service bulletin that the Transfer case NEEDS reprogrammed.

*Reprogrammed TCM (cause)
Conducted Transfer Case Control Module Reprogramming with SPS

In talking to the tech, said he has done 3 of these so far and expects that all of them just need it done.... ))))))

Last edited:

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copy this from my post in general forum. New here. Yeah. 964 mile an it started for me.

((( Backing out of the parking spot it seemed 4 wd was engaged. you know that binding/grinding tire sound on dry pavement thats horrible. Anyhow the vehicle dash then popped up with Service4 wheel drive light on info center.
I was in Auto. I tried going to 2 wheel drive. Tired 4 low, 4 hi. None of the lights on the selector switch lit up other than auto. On-Star was of no help- at ALL.

Fortunately I "know" my sales guy and texted him of my issue, he was out with guys from the dealership and had a tech call me right then at the parking lot I was sitting in (now thats service). We worked thru it with a few suggestions and no go- it was in what we assume 4 Hi. I had to drive home 68 miles like this. straight was fine, turns were pretty nasty filled with grinding noise and that 4wd on dry road feeling.

I am sure it's some goofy switch? Maybe a software thing? but with 964 miles on the clock I'd expect none of these issues? I love my vehicle- but is this the ride I am in for the next 100,000 miles? Anyone else have issues this early in ownership?))))

((((((Just got my vehicle back from Dealer. Talked to the tech, he said it was a known service bulletin that the Transfer case NEEDS reprogrammed.

In talking to the tech, said he has done 3 of these so far and expects that all of them just need it done.... ))))))
I got it done 4 times, next time I told GM will live in the dealer up to they fix my car is pay already and will start a legal action.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good luck with that one. TONS of guys on here have been through that same ringer and it just keeps coming back.

I still CANNOT BELIEVE that GM hasnt found a fix for this yet. SMH

John1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
'Service 4wd' message but no problems

my 2015 Denali was assembled in July. I received it in August. Shortly thereafter I got "Service 4wd" message every start-up. But it does not cause me any problems. I generally run in Auto. Runs good in snow and dry pavement. Figured I would wait till first oil change at 12000 miles to let the dealer sort out the error message.

After reading all the posts it sounds like more than one problem.

jeremyp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got the Service 4WD error message this past weekend at 1500 miles. When it happened I had been keeping it in Auto mode for the last two weeks without issue but while backing out of my sister's driveway I hit a patch of snow/ice and I felt a wheel slip a bit and then the error message popped up and I was stuck in 4WD.

I dropped it off yesterday morning and had it back at the end of the day with it reprogrammed and working fine so far. The dealer said they've been getting this problem a LOT. Not a good feeling...but I'll give it a whirl and see how long it lasts. I'm hoping this fixes it but from what I'm reading here it looks like that probably won't be the case. Has anyone had the reprogramming and NOT had the problem recur?

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Service 4WD error message this past weekend at 1500 miles. When it happened I had been keeping it in Auto mode for the last two weeks without issue but while backing out of my sister's driveway I hit a patch of snow/ice and I felt a wheel slip a bit and then the error message popped up and I was stuck in 4WD.

I dropped it off yesterday morning and had it back at the end of the day with it reprogrammed and working fine so far. The dealer said they've been getting this problem a LOT. Not a good feeling...but I'll give it a whirl and see how long it lasts. I'm hoping this fixes it but from what I'm reading here it looks like that probably won't be the case. Has anyone had the reprogramming and NOT had the problem recur?
My fight the first snow fall, very good but I just crossing my fingers.
[emoji19]

OP
OP
S

SVL

Reaction score
Mine was last reprogrammed about 2500 miles ago, in Auto 4wd for about 500 of those miles, no issues as of yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

JackTrills

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am now a victim. 4wd service error pops up every time I start my 2015 Yukon xl denai.
500kms only in 6 weeks of ownership.

I have always kept it in AUTO and soon as the cold weather came in... 4wd service error always comes in when I start the truck.

I will have to talk to my dealership on Canada. Can anyone recommend any fixes?

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer will reprogram the module that controls the transfer case (I think that's what it does at least) and it seems like that's the end of it.