Shipping my 99 4 door Tahoe to the states from japan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to ship my Tahoe to the states from japan. I'm trying to figure out a few things that I might need to change so it can be legal in good ole 'Merica.

It's a Canadian spec so everything pretty much matches what a US spec tahoe should be. However, over here in japan! the tai lights and reverse lights had to be changed to meet standards here. I know in the states, the turn signal in the tail lights blink with the brake light so it would be red. Here, the reverse lights were turned in to the blinker and replaced with an orange bulb. You'll see in the pictures. And, a little reverse light was installed below the bumper. You can see that in the pictures as well. What do I need to do to change this? I think some how the circuit board or the wires were moved around to make these changes. Also, I have HID's installed in mine. After all the research around the web, I haven't been able to determine if they are even legal. I know people have them but, I need a definite yes or no because it's gonna have to be inspected before I get it registered.

And, there are side blinkers installed on the sides of both front fenders. I don't think that's original and might be something else installed to meet Japanese standards. Will I have an issue with that? I don't see why not, it's just added safety I guess.

Another thing, my instrument cluster is in KPH with MPH as secondary. Is this acceptable or do I need to get a new cluster?

That's about all I have unless ya'll have anything else I should be concerned with. I appreciate ya'lls help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401503835.938141.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401503835.938141.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 71
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401503880.954306.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401503880.954306.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 63
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401503921.834972.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401503921.834972.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 66

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of that seems like a major problem, the cluster can be replaced with a US version and might need the ECM flashed to MPH. I bet all of the wiring for the tail light was done behind the lens, so not a big issue to change it back. I would leave the side blinker because I'm sure there is a hole in your fender.

OP
OP
jbuck07

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't planning on taking the side blinkers off unless I had to. Can any auto shop flash the ECM?
Also, I took out the tail light housing yesterday and saw that the wiring was re-done as you can see in the pic. I guess I'll just match the colors up to the right ones...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401577933.124009.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1401577933.124009.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
jbuck07

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, I might just buy a new set of tail lights. I'm not a fan of these Chinese pieces of junk. Lol

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Cluster can work as is. Just needs to have mph Hell there's cars running around here with just kph. If your military then it really doesn't matter keep the *** plates if that's what you have and no problems. They can import pretty much any car unlike us where they have to be dot legal and whatnot

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in the same dilema here only with somewhat of a different inquiry which may benefit this thread. I recently purchased a mint, one owner, factory everything 97 2-door from Japan (Left Hand Drive - No convert here) and would like to replace the exterior lighting to match the american spec truck i had before.

The tailights are like the OP described, orange turn signal at the bottom of the tail light and auxilary reverse lights mated to the rear bumper. My front head lights are a quad setup with low beam and high beam seperated. The front grille/facia/bezel needs to be completely replaced or modified to accomodate the USDM lights.

I'm just wondering (especially for the rear), how involving would the electrical conversion be and what harnesses may i need? I am not the best electrician but could generally get my head around it with some assistance.

Thanks.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
It should just be look at the wiring for where it's been modified if then unmodify it and get usdm lights

OP
OP
jbuck07

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do y'all mean, usdm lights?

---------- Post added at 04:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

Oh, and I have HID's for my headlights. Both hi and low beams. I do, however, have some aftermarket fog lights that are in the lower bumper/facia or whatever you want to call it. I ended up taking them out because I think I jacked them up when I installed my stereo. They won't turn on anymore.

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 AM ----------

I haven't tooled around with the wiring for my tail lights yet. I think I can re wire them, I see where they were split up and re-cramped. Luckily for me, the wires are color coded so Ill just re-match the wires with the right colors. I'll let y'all know how it turns out

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What do y'all mean, usdm lights?

---------- Post added at 04:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

Oh, and I have HID's for my headlights. Both hi and low beams. I do, however, have some aftermarket fog lights that are in the lower bumper/facia or whatever you want to call it. I ended up taking them out because I think I jacked them up when I installed my stereo. They won't turn on anymore.

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 AM ----------

I haven't tooled around with the wiring for my tail lights yet. I think I can re wire them, I see where they were split up and re-cramped. Luckily for me, the wires are color coded so Ill just re-match the wires with the right colors. I'll let y'all know how it turns out

Do let me know how it turns out since I am about to tackle this myself and don't want to be the guinea pig haha.

USDM are US Domestic Market Tailights as in US Spec.. Those differ from the Japanese taillights by having the blinkers integrated into the taillights. The Japanese spec'd trucks (also know as JDM) require a separate orange blinker which is why we have the reverse lights allocated to the bottom of the rear bumper since they are replaced with Japanese indicators.

OP
OP
jbuck07

jbuck07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I didn't mess with the tail lights and stuff; I've been too busy to take care of it here so I figured I'll just do it before I have it inspected.

I dropped it off to be shipped to the states last week but they are questioning if it can be imported because it's Canadian spec. According to NHTSA, I have all the paperwork and it meets the criteria. I just don't know if there is something else I don't know about. How different can it be? It s pretty much identical to the u.s. Spec. I sent an email to a Registered Importer in Texas since that is where I'll be shipping it to see if I can import it. I haven't heard back from him yet.

Any experience on here about importing Canadian vehicles??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kkeesy

Latest posts