Thinking bout these Projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
I am sorry but the halo/projectors are crap. The light out put are horrible even if you put HIDs in. The just dont look right with the truck. IMO stocks are the best looking ones for the tahoe.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sorry but the halo/projectors are crap. The light out put are horrible even if you put HIDs in. The just dont look right with the truck. IMO stocks are the best looking ones for the tahoe.

Ok, outside of esthetics which are a personal preference thing, perhaps we can try to pinpoint what could be going on with the design that would make these lights outfitted with hids project less light than the factory housing/bulb combination. :think:

Presumably these kinds of things can be measured in lumens and how focused the beam is? Is there a way to uncover this information?

I'm not disputing or dismissing the 'crappiness' or 'suckiness' for both might well be true (and I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough) ... I'm just trying to get some actual tangible, as opposed to anecdotal, evidence.

Cheers!

nytahoe

"Tha Butcha"
Reaction score
my 03 i had the ebay halo projectors. they used and h3 bulb i put 100 watt bulbs and still could not see a dam thing at night. they i got the depo lights that used the same size bulb they had great out put. so haveing them i say most halo projectors are junk could be somegood ones . i would like the see them with some out put light shoots. they are the best looking aftermarket light out for the nnbs tahoe just my .02cents

OP
OP
sumo

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger. Im getting them. I know some of you say dont, I need to see for myself. Maybe the design has been changed. If they are bad for me it gives me a project to Open the stock Headlights and modify them, or switch in a different Projector Into these headlights

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem lies with the projector shape and size of the reflector housing, it is way too small, but space is very limitted due to the radiator support running directly behind the position of the low beam. Myself and another member "paradise" were able to improve the beam by fabricating a spacer to place between the light mounting surface and the bulb itself essentially moving the bulb back in the housing. In order to determine how much of a spacer you will have to slide the bulb back and forth to see what works best for your combo...mine was damn near a 3/4" spacer. A couple of things to note right off the bat...these housings will come with a sticker on them that states "not for HID use" and if you choose to disregard this then be prepared to mill the housings mounting hole as HID's physically will not insert into the housings as they are too thick in diameter...and then good luck returning them once you do this.

@soulsea...butthurt...:gayfight:

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
Like every one is saying it is the projector it self. Basically you are using the size of a fog light to use as your driving light.. To get it right you will need to pull it apart and retro fit a real projector from like a TSX which I see a lot of people use or something in those lines to make it work well.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the trigger. Im getting them. I know some of you say dont, I need to see for myself. Maybe the design has been changed. If they are bad for me it gives me a project to Open the stock Headlights and modify them, or switch in a different Projector Into these headlights

I love em Sumo! If you just fit some depo/TSX-esque projectors (Like BlackedOutLT3 said) with some HID's in that housing it will not only LOOK good but you can see at night too... that's pretty much the only way to do them if you want decent light output :Handshake:

OP
OP
sumo

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
The problem lies with the projector shape and size of the reflector housing, it is way too small, but space is very limitted due to the radiator support running directly behind the position of the low beam. Myself and another member "paradise" were able to improve the beam by fabricating a spacer to place between the light mounting surface and the bulb itself essentially moving the bulb back in the housing. In order to determine how much of a spacer you will have to slide the bulb back and forth to see what works best for your combo...mine was damn near a 3/4" spacer. A couple of things to note right off the bat...these housings will come with a sticker on them that states "not for HID use" and if you choose to disregard this then be prepared to mill the housings mounting hole as HID's physically will not insert into the housings as they are too thick in diameter...and then good luck returning them once you do this.

@soulsea...butthurt...:gayfight:

Thanks for the tip. I am already looking in tsx projectors. This is going to be a expensive project. When I get them, I'm gonna bench test them to see the cutoff line and see what I'm up against.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brent, ITD, cheers for the info ...

Ugh, unlike sumo, I really don't feel like undertaking such an extensive headlight mod, plus I wouldn't know how to do it.

Install has been pushed to next Tuesday ... I'll take before and after pics with the lights projecting on a wall and see what the difference is. Personally, as I like the look of them, I'm hoping it won't be a disaster and/or a safety hazard. If they aren't bright enough they'll come off asap.

I'm hoping that they'll work properly ... as they aren't tinted like the one's sumo got perhaps there's hope. We shall see.

Thanks again. :Handshake:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curtisleefarmer