Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Wow man, that hub bearing was gone! You didn’t smell brake pad long before it started making noise? When the bearing starts going out you can usually tell because the vehicle will pull to the bad side due to the rotor contacting the inside brake pad because the tire and rotor are tipped in at the top. Most complaints are pulls to one side especially when hitting the brakes and/or smell of brake material after a drive.
Glad you got it before you really had a issue and stranded ya road side. I believe it was such a PITA because it got so hot and caused the hub to swell in the knuckle. Rust can’t really form on the mating surface or in the bore because it’s such tight tolerance. Most of the time the thing is hard to remove due to heat. When you have aluminum knuckle and carbon steel hub it sticks due to bimetallic corrosion, the corrosion of a metal, the anode, results from the positive current flowing from the anode to the less reactive metal, the cathode, through the electrolyte. Those can be a bear just like I went thru pulling the trans on her Caddy.
Good work as always. Persistence over resistance and it helps having these guys as your cheering section and giving advise. I always like the way you listen to what is being said and are willing to take advise when given. Kudos to you all.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Wow man, that hub bearing was gone! You didn’t smell brake pad long before it started making noise? When the bearing starts going out you can usually tell because the vehicle will pull to the bad side due to the rotor contacting the inside brake pad because the tire and rotor are tipped in at the top. Most complaints are pulls to one side especially when hitting the brakes and/or smell of brake material after a drive.
Glad you got it before you really had a issue and stranded ya road side. I believe it was such a PITA because it got so hot and caused the hub to swell in the knuckle. Rust can’t really form on the mating surface or in the bore because it’s such tight tolerance. Most of the time the thing is hard to remove due to heat. When you have aluminum knuckle and carbon steel hub it sticks due to bimetallic corrosion, the corrosion of a metal, the anode, results from the positive current flowing from the anode to the less reactive metal, the cathode, through the electrolyte. Those can be a bear just like I went thru pulling the trans on her Caddy.
Good work as always. Persistence over resistance and it helps having these guys as your cheering section and giving advise. I always like the way you listen to what is being said and are willing to take advise when given. Kudos to you all.
Yeah man getting it off was a pita. Weird thing-- I didn't smell any brakes the whole ride(40 miles round trip)and it wasn't pulling. I'm just glad all is well now. I'm well prepared for the other side if it gives me an issue.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah man getting it off was a pita. Weird thing-- I didn't smell any brakes the whole ride(40 miles round trip)and it wasn't pulling. I'm just glad all is well now. I'm well prepared for the other side if it gives me an issue.
You should replace now regardless. Normally you replace things like that in pairs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottLady