Traction control locking on from a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tanderson1985

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New user here. Wife’s 2005 Tahoe has the traction control(stabletrac) kicking on when accelerating from a stop. Threw a c0045 code and replace both rear speed sensors. No abs lights or check engine lights. Live data is saying all 4 sensors are working properly. It’s intermittently happening so I’m beginning to think it’s a larger issue. I can replace the fronts but I figured I’d ask the experts which direction to go. Currently no codes are present when I run a quick scan. Thanks

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New user here. Wife’s 2005 Tahoe has the traction control(stabletrac) kicking on when accelerating from a stop. Threw a c0045 code and replace both rear speed sensors. No abs lights or check engine lights. Live data is saying all 4 sensors are working properly. It’s intermittently happening so I’m beginning to think it’s a larger issue. I can replace the fronts but I figured I’d ask the experts which direction to go. Currently no codes are present when I run a quick scan. Thanks
one of the abs sensors is probably lazy, the only way to tell is to monitor all 4 with a scanner when accelerating and see which one it is.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could also be a bad ebcm. its under the truck pretty much under the drivers seat.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the brakes are self checking if the module had a error it would most likely light up the abs/brake light, if the abs sensor is slightly out of whack and/or hub it could be sending wrong info and causing a problem but yet not throwing a code, just making a mess of things. I have had it happen with brand new out of the box hubs/sensors
when it see's 3 wheels going 20 and 1 going 18 (erratic data) it thinks you might have lost traction so it kicks on traction control or engages abs or both.
things to try are
disable traction control
disable stabiltrac
pull the abs fuse
monitor live abs sensor data
in general traction control is kicked on when it detects wheel slip, then it kind of progresses to other drivetrain issue's

same thing happens if I drive over a sidewalk at speed, it detects the wheel not spinning the same as the rest so it pauses and traction control/stabiltrac/abs decides what to do and then proceeds again once it see's 4 data points all the same. I bog out momentarily and then it goes again. it can be a real pita depending on the situation or it could save your life it goes either way.

Marty_S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
one of the abs sensors is probably lazy, the only way to tell is to monitor all 4 with a scanner when accelerating and see which one it is.
Replaced passenger front bearing/rotor assy. Misplaced new sensor and plugged old back in. Could this have caused the 3, or more, amigo issues? Service Brakes, Service Stability Control and ABS error light. A few days before the 3 popped up Check Engine Light came on solid. I'd thought it because the 6,000 mile Service Brake Light had been ignored. Any ideas greatly appreciated. It likely needs new brake pads all around and those will get done after oil. Previous owner lowered it making ramps needed to get under, arg(!). Thx for idea to monitor and hopefully get pointed to problem wheel.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced passenger front bearing/rotor assy. Misplaced new sensor and plugged old back in. Could this have caused the 3, or more, amigo issues? Service Brakes, Service Stability Control and ABS error light. A few days before the 3 popped up Check Engine Light came on solid. I'd thought it because the 6,000 mile Service Brake Light had been ignored. Any ideas greatly appreciated. It likely needs new brake pads all around and those will get done after oil. Previous owner lowered it making ramps needed to get under, arg(!). Thx for idea to monitor and hopefully get pointed to problem wheel.
possibly part of the issue if the sensor is bad, shouldn't make the check engine light come on with this gen though, that is likely a separate issue. a new abs sensor is like $25-30 at most auto parts stores

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tylert93

Latest posts