Transmission Service ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heelz3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just had my transmission fluid and filter changed at a local transmission shop. I have a 03 Tahoe with 113,000 miles on it. The guy showed me my pan and said it had excessive metel in the bottom. It did have a film of dark type stuff on the bottom, but it did not look like alot to me, expecially considering its never been changed.

Im getting ready to drive about 7 hours on vacation and he asked me if I had another car I could drive, I dont. He said I may have about 2 months on this trans. Its never given me any problems and I only had the fluid/filter changed due to it needing it.

Do you think this guy was just trying to scare me into getting it rebuilt? After he realized I would sell it before doing that he said I will drive it after we do the change and see how its doing. He did and said it was good to go.??????

He also said those trans were only good for about 100,000 miles.

Is he correct? Im a little worried about driving so far for vacation now.

Thanks,

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Robbie,

I don't think you'll have a problem based on what you've told us so far. I would definitely drive it a little harder before your trip to be sure the new fluid didn't cause any dynamics to change in the trans and surface a problem.

The comment about 100k miles on the 4l60e trannies is definitely not true. There are NUMEROUS guys on the board with over 100k.

B

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW do you have a tranny temp guage on your dash cluster at the bottom right? Check it periodically, and check your fluid level again before you go on your trip.

If I recall there is a magnet at the bottom of the pan to collect small metallic debris. It sounds like he cleaned out the bottom of the pan?

OP
OP
H

Heelz3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey and thanks BOSS. I do not know on the trans temp light. I will look this afternoon and see. Yes, he did clean out the bottom of the pan and to me it just looked like very, very fine, almost dust like particles covering the bottom of the pan. Like I said, its never been changed before so I would think it would have more stuff than normal in there. I will tell my wife to drive it harder the next day or two before we leave like you suggested. We have never had and trans problems before and I sure do not want any right before a 7 hour drive. Thanks again.

We have the "clunking" sound when accelerating like most of the tahoes do but I understand thats from the drive shaft and not the trans.

One more ?, sometimes when we start it, we hear like a rattleing type sound for a few seconds just as it starts, what is that? Its been doing it for a long time and seems to start just fine.

Thanks again

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the "clunking" sound when accelerating like most of the tahoes do but I understand thats from the drive shaft and not the trans.

:waytogo:

One more ?, sometimes when we start it, we hear like a rattleing type sound for a few seconds just as it starts, what is that? Its been doing it for a long time and seems to start just fine.
Thanks again

Not sure, does it sound like it's internal to the engine? These v8s have a known issue called piston slapping which is a knocking from the engine and iirc it gets worse in winter from lower temps. Try running a can or two of seafoam in your next oil change. Just dont forget to tell the shop to account for the extra volume of the seafoam and subtract a little oil - especially if you use 2 cans in a single change.

B

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, sounds like piston slap, normal.

while 100K is just his shot in the dark, like BOSS stated, some go 200K, some ( like mine) went at 75K.

If you didn't have any slips, or tranny sputters, don't worry about it and enjoy the trip.

OP
OP
H

Heelz3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Im going to go ahead and not worry about it (to much). Guy was probably trying to sell me a rebuild, I dont know.

Piston slap? Does that sound pretty loud just as you start the car, then stops after about 3 seconds? I was thinking it may be something with the starter? It does not really sound internal, like the valves or something, its really kinda loud.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Just to follow up on the trans pan, wouldnt you think a light coating of very fine shavings would be expected in a trans that has 113,000 on it? If I had changed the fluid/filter at 50,000 like the book says, it probably would not have been that bad.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to follow up on the trans pan, wouldnt you think a light coating of very fine shavings would be expected in a trans that has 113,000 on it? If I had changed the fluid/filter at 50,000 like the book says, it probably would not have been that bad.

I can't say I've ever seen it, but I would expect it. That's one reason it's not advised to change the tranny fluid on very high mileage vehicles. There are small shavings in the fluid that contribute to the friction of the tranny as it operates. Once that's lost, sometimes it can lead to a tranny failure of some sort.

What I can tell you from experience is a couple things. I use magnetic oil drain plugs on all of my vehicles and there's always a small amount of something there...how every teeny tiny or microscopically small, it's still there in all the vehicles. I also broke in a few brand new sport bikes when I used to ride, and those engines always left some fine shavings around on the first few hundred miles.

B

mrtrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good info...besides that, a trans has different parts.
So a piece or 2 could need to b replaced....
I had a couple pieces replaced @ 98,000 miles..
but since iv been ryding 24" wheels for the last 5 yrs,
as well as driving like Ricky Bobby on da freeway,
I wasnt surprised to have trans issues of sum sort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmarRa