VCIM Swap for Bluetooth Capability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marioski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I been a lurker for awhile, I would like to do this mod as well, I have a 2007 Tohoe, I went to EBAY and car-parts but really aren't having any luck, I think there are 2 listed on car-parts (if I'm looking correctly) but neither show specifically the #20829984 module, one shows an Buick Enclave ID#20890999 from New York, the second says from a Chevy Traverse no ID# just says voice recognition from Oregon.
If anyone knows of a module for sure I would sure appreciate the heads up.
The information on forum is great!!
Your help would be appreciated
Thank You

The easiest way is to go on Onstar's website (link is in this thread) and look up their RemoteLink page and see what vehicle's are supported. If you have an 07, you do not want to get anything from a 2011 and up as the connections for GPS/Cell are in one cable instead of two. You would have to purchase a separate harness. I believe Bluetooth started in 09, and then if you find one that supports RemoteLink and is 09-10 you are golden. Mine is out of a 2010 Suburban and works perfectly. The only thing is that Onstar thinks I have a 2010 black Suburban with the corresponding vin. Also when you buy it, make sure it has the bluetooth antennae attached to it.

BTW. Love the RemoteLink app. Best damn thing ever! Love starting the car when in the locker room at the gym getting ready and walk out to a nice warm car.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do don't tell them you installed a vcim from another vehicle. I am trying everyday to get mine activated and they will not although they did and have since deactivated it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Rockytfox

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would I have to do to get this VCIM working? IS there additional dealer programming or will it program itself once installed?

Thanks

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-module-20829984.html

And is this a fair price for the unit?

Thanks,

2008 yukon XL

If it comes with the Bluetooth antenna, then yes it's a fair price. If not, the antenna will cost another $20 online. As far as programming, you'll call Onstar and set it up as a new vehicle on your account. Read the entire thread here and you'll have a good idea of the dos and donts. Good luck.

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you,
I'm going to assume it is without antenna. If programming is needed can a Tech 1 put the vin in?

ScubaJim

Reaction score
Thank you,
I'm going to assume it is without antenna. If programming is needed can a Tech 1 put the vin in?

It's plug and play if you get the correct box. I instantly had Bluetooth. You just hold in the button on the steering wheel and run through the step by step to pair. I have not activated OnStar, so I have not dealt with the issues other posted here.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Has anyone here had a 2010 Buick Enclave vcim work in an 08 tahoe? I almost want to keep going at it just to prove them a point!

Im running the 2010 Traverse VCIM in a 2008 Tahoe

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just agree with them if you try to activate and they ask if you're in the vehicle the unit comes out of. I'm sti having trouble getting mine activated even though they did it once.

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
understood and thanks,
My bro has a tech 1 or 2 and when I make the swap I'd like onstar to report correct vehicle incase wife and kids have an accident and there looking for a Black suburban (or whatever) instead of a white yukon.. **** i guess

Great work folks...
Merry Christmas..

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please let me know if you're able to get the thing reprogrammed! PM me if needed.

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will, we just bought an 08 and he just bought an 07 so we have 2 vehicles to experiment with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salty Crusty

Latest posts