Want to take my 2010 Yukon XL Denali with 180,000 miles for a family trip from Michigan To Florida - Can you help me make this a success!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, checked the exhaust manifold bolts. I'm pretty sure I'm looking at the right thing, but a little out of school on this. On the passenger side, I see all 6 bolts. On the driver side, I'm missing the one closest to the firewall. Pics attached. What are your thoughts?
That one can be tricky. If you’re lucky it may still have some purchase once the manifold is removed. If not, a welder is needed. Luckily your block is aluminium.
If I had to make a gamble, I’d say your manifold isn’t far from cracking in the center. They all do it. In fact it’s such a problem that some manufactures started selling theirs “pre-cut” to avoid the strain put on them by temps and engine movement (usually caused by broken motor mounts).

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You still rebuilding that truck Bobby? Got back a few weeks ago from mine, 3,194 miles and only popped the hood to add washer fluid and check the oil. Never had to add any oil.
Everything worked, one airbag light that resolved itself, she ran like a top the entire time.
@swathdiver !! How was your trip to monument valley? I expected nothing less from the truck!

I'd say for me, I have finished all of the core things you all have mentioned here and I'm just having fun tinkering and learning more about the truck...you know, I'm a little late to the party you guys have been having - maybe about 13 years late.

After I got the major repairs and PM done, I've finished installing my dash cam, installed the Diode Dynamics SS3 max fog lights (which are incredible), all interior LEDs, puddle lamp LEDs, and rear backup LED, bought an oil catch can that I still have to install, bought a replacement gear for the broken folding mirror but still have to do the work, have to figure out how to fix the broken lumbar support for the driver seat, just got back my powder coated spare wheel, got my @BlackBearPerf tune and finalizing what tools and "stuff" I need to take with me.

The truck is running better than it has in over 5 years and I'm feeling really confident in taking it down. I have one broken exhaust manifold bolt that I have to keep an eye on, but I love driving this truck again!

Attachments

• 20231203_141830.jpg
    20231203_141830.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231203_141701.jpg
    20231203_141701.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver !! How was your trip to monument valley? I expected nothing less from the truck!

I'd say for me, I have finished all of the core things you all have mentioned here and I'm just having fun tinkering and learning more about the truck...you know, I'm a little late to the party you guys have been having - maybe about 13 years late.

After I got the major repairs and PM done, I've finished installing my dash cam, installed the Diode Dynamics SS3 max fog lights (which are incredible), all interior LEDs, puddle lamp LEDs, and rear backup LED, bought an oil catch can that I still have to install, bought a replacement gear for the broken folding mirror but still have to do the work, have to figure out how to fix the broken lumbar support for the driver seat, just got back my powder coated spare wheel, got my @BlackBearPerf tune and finalizing what tools and "stuff" I need to take with me.

The truck is running better than it has in over 5 years and I'm feeling really confident in taking it down. I have one broken exhaust manifold bolt that I have to keep an eye on, but I love driving this truck again!
Because of the embolism I had a few months ago, we decided to save Monument Valley for another time when we have a better understanding of my health. Didn't want to be in need of medical attention in such a remote location so soon after surgery. Instead we went to China, Nome, Cleveland and Buffalo all in one trip, all in Texas! LOL

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because of the embolism I had a few months ago, we decided to save Monument Valley for another time when we have a better understanding of my health. Didn't want to be in need of medical attention in such a remote location so soon after surgery. Instead we went to China, Nome, Cleveland and Buffalo all in one trip, all in Texas! LOL
Definitely health first and you're back on the mend! Sounds like a great road trip!

OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub - quick question. You were helping me with big 3/4 previously, but I just don't see getting to it before I leave. But the one ground I haven't cleaned up and I'd like to have some redundancy on before I leave is that strap that goes from the firewall to back of the engine. Is there an easy way to run a new cable somewhere to reinforce that ground even temporarily until I do the full upgrade after the trip?

Last edited:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
While I'm thinking of it, I *was* successful in removing all of the exhaust manifold bolts without breaking them on my 2012 when I did the cam swap. But the engine only had maybe 110K on it and was a dry country truck when I bought it, so there was no corrosion anywhere. I used Deep Creep penetrating oil over a couple of days before I did the job and they came out easily. But I wouldn't recommend this if you're not prepared to pull the heads because sure as the moon, you'll break one if you're not.
I was successful at replacing all mine on my 2013 but had 70k miles at the time. None were broken at the time.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub - quick question. You were helping me with big 3/4 previously, but I just don't see getting to it before I leave. But the one ground I haven't cleaned up and I'd like to have some redundancy on before I leave is that strap that goes from the firewall to back of the engine. Is there an easy way to run a new cable somewhere to reinforce that ground even temporarily until I do the full upgrade after the trip?

There are lots of options. You can use that same stud on the firewall to run the larger cable to the frame or engine. Or, pick a spot elsewhere if it's more convenient. All the sheet metal of the body is connected and you just need a good ground from it to the frame or engine (engine is grounded to the frame in the Big 3). Until you do the Big 3, run it from the body to the engine as the factory setup has the battery ground going to the engine. I wanted more conductivity so I drilled the pinch weld on the cowl and bolted a 4 gauge to it and routed it to the original ground location on the front of the passenger side cylinder head. Actually, I repurposed the factory battery ground for this. Just cut off the battery terminal and soldered and crimped on a lug. For maximum conductivity, I drilled the hole slightly undersized so the bolt cut threads in the metal as I turned it:

img_7381-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bobby2175

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what type of screw will fit these spots? Was trying to install my oil catch can, but the screw that came with the kit doesn't work.

EDIT: Figured it out!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231208-210033_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231208-210033_Gallery.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what type of screw will fit these spots? Was trying to install my oil catch can, but the screw that came with the kit doesn't work.

EDIT: Figured it out!
So what size is it? Someday I'll get around to doing mine and this knowledge would save us some time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dapdapdap