What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Yes, @treehan77 I believe is our tester. Perhaps he can weigh in on the cleaning before application..? [emoji51][emoji106][emoji16]

I was going to do dawn a fee times then 90% iso alcohol...but I will prob read the instructions first. Definitely going to wear gloves, I don't know what that ceracoat stuff is but if it's as tough as they say I don't want it on my skin.

I almost thought dawn was in the instructions, but I think it was more like they want you to wash it with soap that definitely doesn’t have wax in it. Either way I used dawn as well. From what I recall I suspected that problems of unevenness might be from water remaining, or under edges, that gets smeared when the product is applied, more than insufficient cleaning.

anyway, I washed with dawn, rinsed, dried with compressed air, waited a few hours, cleaned with alcohol swabs, applied wearing nitrile gloves.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/BD-Alcohol-Swabs-100-Each/10416769

I always have them around, theyre a lot thicker than typical alcohol swabs

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought you had to be super careful to get all other products off, or it would leave a mismatched (semi-permanent) finish ? You didn’t clean with alcohol, etc...? This is probably my biggest concern, since I regularly apply VRP to my rig. Don’t want to have a bunch of lighter spots or something..!

i washed my truck, then 2 days later used it. my plastic was almost white, so at this point i gave no ***** and went right to it. its all even looking to me.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you guys talking about trim coatings are going about it the wrong way. Here is how I did my denali back in the day.

Rustoleum trim and bumper paint. Like $6 available everywhere. On the bumper cover picture I did the upper and had just cleaned the lower. You can see a side by side there chalky old and busted to fresh and black. Lasted fine for years.

Did my Jeep bumper cover in 2015 or 2016 still looks great. Never garaged.

IMAG1310 (1).jpg IMAG1312 (1).jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you guys talking about trim coatings are going about it the wrong way. Here is how I did my denali back in the day.

Rustoleum trim and bumper paint. Like $6 available everywhere. On the bumper cover picture I did the upper and had just cleaned the lower. You can see a side by side there chalky old and busted to fresh and black. Lasted fine for years.

Did my Jeep bumper cover in 2015 or 2016 still looks great. Never garaged.

View attachment 280177 View attachment 280178
I did my 02 with Krylon Fusion about 3-4 years ago. It’s just now started to not look deep black as of this year. I just don’t feel like pulling it all off and going through the painting process again plus there’s areas like the rear view mirrors that are hard to disassemble and paint so I’ll try this.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my 02 with Krylon Fusion about 3-4 years ago. It’s just now started to not look deep black as of this year. I just don’t feel like pulling it all off and going through the painting process again plus there’s areas like the rear view mirrors that are hard to disassemble and paint so I’ll try this.
There are definitely areas where that doesn't make as much sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM