What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many dents here I’m getting angry, gotta go. :laughing1:

I luckily haven’t done anything for so long I can’t remember, at least as far as running into or backing into anything. There was this incident a year or so ago where I didn’t have my front wheels turned straight ahead and hit the switch to air out my Silverado. I hit the stop,switch as soon as I heard metal starting to crunch and was able to stop it before it was bad. I’m pretty sure a PDR guy can fix it and in reality it’s kinda nit noticeable unless you look at it from an angle. It’s a reminder to me also…don’t hit that switch unless you’re sure the tires are in tuck position.99B727C5-62B6-4DF3-8ED5-19B4980253C5.jpeg

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So many dents here I’m getting angry, gotta go. :laughing1:

I luckily haven’t done anything for so long I can’t remember, at least as far as running into or backing into anything. There was this incident a year or so ago where I didn’t have my front wheels turned straight ahead and hit the switch to air out my Silverado. I hit the stop,switch as soon as I heard metal starting to crunch and was able to stop it before it was bad. I’m pretty sure a PDR guy can fix it and in reality it’s kinda nit noticeable unless you look at it from an angle. It’s a reminder to me also…don’t hit that switch unless you’re sure the tires are in tuck position.View attachment 383897

Yeah, bagged life can suck sometimes, but worth it.... Yeah i think a PDR guy can take care of it for sure.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took Kin to get her nails done for homecoming tonight. Some spirited city driving ensued. After dropping her off, I tested for sustained high load and RPM. Again, all seems normal so I'm gonna call it good. I might have hit a new speed record but I can only guess the actual speed. 5,700 RPM, 3rd gear (1:1), 3.73 rear gear and 31.9" tire calculate to 145MPH. But it's not quite that due to the converter slip. Should be right around 135, though. Judging by the needle's movement up to 120 and the time following, maybe it is closer to 140ish.

What y'all think?
That thing pulls like crazy at the upper end still... Nice job man.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How fast was she going James? This the pickup you guys just bought?
She was only about 20-30 feet in front of the tree when she started backing. I reckon that she just let it roll and didn't press the gas. She was crying as she was just leaving our friend's home, the folks who lost their daughter in the Tesla crash. She said she didn't hear the back-up sensors, or look at the camera, so it must've got up to 5-10 mph at least.

I got 4 estimates, all about the same, they all keep using the wrong part numbers, I was going to keep it out of the insurance but we have accident forgiveness with Geico and am going to pay the difference for OE parts and chose my own repair shop (GMC) so I'll have more control over the repair. So that will save us some money.

Now if I can only order parts front vendors that are not broken or missing for it!

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it apart.

First look as soon as I removed the head:

View attachment 382966

The complete ring where just the carbon is knocked off shows that the valve was riding the piston for a little while. This must've been during that time when I was cruising, had just noticed it and was trying to determine if the odd vibes I was feeling were from the driveline or a loose wheel. It was the steady rhythmic pulse of a dead cylinder. Had I known, I would've shut it down that instant and all I would've needed was a new valve spring which would've been a 3 hour fix on the side of the road to get me back home with no damage at all. But, at some point, the valve and piston had a disagreement and while the piston was trying to buck the valve off it's head, it bítch slapped it sideways, leading to the hoof marks in the piston:

View attachment 382967

Pulled a valve from a junk 706 head for comparison:

View attachment 382968

The head looks fine. It looks like it did little more than just knocking the carbon off. I don't know how it survived, but the guide looks and feels fine, too:

View attachment 382969

I buffed the carbon off the piston and smoothed the hoof marks to eliminate sharp edges that would lead to hot spots. The light reflecting makes them look more severe than they really are:

View attachment 382970

I pulled the lifters from that cylinder and they look fine. Plan of action is to clean up and install that salvaged valve, replace all 16 springs, reassemble and send it.
Play the lotto tonight!

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally fixed that exhaust leak on driver side rear with dorman clamp that took soooo much pain to install.
I couldn’t get manifold removed from pipe so had to resort to clamp.

And i think the brought back some horses on that 6.2.
We were accelerating on highway and at around speed of 40 i removed car in front is doing that too slow so i kicked down the pedal and some stuff went flying and coffee got spilled.
Wife was not amused

Kapitein

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made some progress on my recently purchased Burb.

4x new Geolanders to replace the dry rotted crap that was on there.

Alignment.

New front discs and pads. Plenty of meat on the old ones, just rusted to hell.

Disc and pad change on these trucks are super easy :)

Attachments

• PXL_20221028_133655350~2.jpg
    PXL_20221028_133655350~2.jpg
    532.1 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20221029_090916284.jpg
    PXL_20221029_090916284.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20221029_091411942.jpg
    PXL_20221029_091411942.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20221029_091423383.jpg
    PXL_20221029_091423383.jpg