What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I eventually pull the engine and trans, still debating on how high of a converter I want. Honestly probably going to stick with 1,800 to 2,000. But no more than 2500 for my application.
That's just going to hurt my mileage and whatnot and all the traffic I do daily having a real high stall.
Chris and I have the circle d 26-2800 I think? Ive put around 27k miles on it so far and its been good. I drive 100 miles everyday on my work commute. 80 of those miles are on the interstate.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have aftermarket higher stall torque converters. Not stock. It was one little misstep in the overall changes for the converter.
Nice. Wonder what mine is set to… one of these days, I’d really like to learn (and will need to purchase) an HP Tuner. I have a BBP tune, and am quite happy with it, but being able to do what I want would be so much better. As an example, after I upgraded my heads and cam, my rev limiter was changed to 6k, and it’s not acting right in the tune, though I’ve sent in 3 log files now, and need to collect another one.. it’s time consuming.. I’m hitting the limiter when using the “sport” mode, and need them to fix that. And actually, I think I should be able to go above 6k anyway.. PRC heads, with PAC .660 dual springs, Ti retainers, chrome moly pushrods, Morel 7717 lifters, stainless valves, and a TSP stage 2 truck cam: 212/218, .600”/.600”, 112 LSA, 110 ICL..

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. Wonder what mine is set to… one of these days, I’d really like to learn (and will need to purchase) an HP Tuner. I have a BBP tune, and am quite happy with it, but being able to do what I want would be so much better. As an example, after I upgraded my heads and cam, my rev limiter was changed to 6k, and it’s not acting right in the tune, though I’ve sent in 3 log files now, and need to collect another one.. it’s time consuming.. I’m hitting the limiter when using the “sport” mode, and need them to fix that. And actually, I think I should be able to go above 6k anyway.. PRC heads, with PAC .660 dual springs, Ti retainers, chrome moly pushrods, Morel 7717 lifters, stainless valves, and a TSP stage 2 truck cam: 212/218, .600”/.600”, 112 LSA, 110 ICL..
I'm still a complete newb. I just had ALOT of help from someone very nice and whom I'll owe hand jiggles to for life. Gen 3 stuff is quite a bit different than Gen 4. If you decide to get HPT someday, the trans settings and fuel cut on your gen are alot easier to understand.

I had a pretty good handle on the ben 3 stuff (transmission tuning especially) back in 2011 when I first got HPT. Then I stopped messing with it and mostly forgot everything.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think and hope it uses a standard size, cuz I bought one with 6,000 miles on it after they accepted my offer of $110 on their original price of $135. It has the clutch on it and I'm gonna roll with it. With my engine spinning 6,000+ RPM then the trans upshifting fairly quickly and firmly, it just makes sense. Even if it's a wear item, I should be good for a long time. The alt is essentially new and I don't drive much at all.

A circuit is only as good as it's weakest link. Upgrading just the alternator to battery positive won't do anything if the battery negative to engine (alternator grounds through case>bracket>engine) isn't upgraded equally or larger. Or, if the battery negative goes to the frame, then there needs to be an equal engine-to-frame cable, making it a Big Three.

what are you going to do with the old one. if it's the small 2 wire plug one and still works. depending on how horrible shipping is, I might buy it from you for a project I'm playing with in hptuners.

if you're interested in selling it, let me know.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm still a complete newb. I just had ALOT of help from someone very nice and whom I'll owe hand jiggles to for life. Gen 3 stuff is quite a bit different than Gen 4. If you decide to get HPT someday, the trans settings and fuel cut on your gen are alot easier to understand.

I had a pretty good handle on the ben 3 stuff (transmission tuning especially) back in 2011 when I first got HPT. Then I stopped messing with it and mostly forgot everything.
I give 2 thumbs up for "Hand Jiggles For Life". Can't "Beat That" lol.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That only made my converter feel "tighter". Drivability was much improved.

I don't know what Mike did when he tuned it. But it went from feeling super loose to damned-near stock after his second round of changes. I'm anxious to actually investigate but have a pile of priorities ahead of even going in the shop.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are actually so many settings, you can have it hold really tight but still have it engaged and disengage smoothly.

Yeah? How does one make the TCC engage smoothly? I thought that was the point of it being a PWM-controlled style. Maybe it's the nature of the beast or maybe I got a faulty converter. But, mine has always locked up abruptly. It's like cruising at a steady speed in a car with a manual trans while riding the clutch just enough to have it slip and raise RPM, then suddenly dumping it. Not violent, but much faster and more harsh than I think it should. I see all kinds of settings for WHEN the TCC engages, but nothing for adjusting HOW it engages.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris and I have the circle d 26-2800 I think? Ive put around 27k miles on it so far and its been good. I drive 100 miles everyday on my work commute. 80 of those miles are on the interstate.

Yup. About 22.5K on mine. Never a problem in all my local hooning and with towing 1,000 lbs from Tampa and a car from the Westbank of New Orleans.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah? How does one make the TCC engage smoothly? I thought that was the point of it being a PWM-controlled style. Maybe it's the nature of the beast or maybe I got a faulty converter. But, mine has always locked up abruptly. It's like cruising at a steady speed in a car with a manual trans while riding the clutch just enough to have it slip and raise RPM, then suddenly dumping it. Not violent, but much faster and more harsh than I think it should. I see all kinds of settings for WHEN the TCC engages, but nothing for adjusting HOW it engages.
Mine has a noticeable lock up but it's not violent. Just a solid "lock". I'm used to that from driving my Camaro for years though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
racolson

Latest posts