What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on that note why did gm make so many different mounts for a ls. ugh, a Gen 1 sbc used the same clam shell mount from 1960 to 1990 and never failed. just sagged a little.

on a cost note. I replaced my c6 mounts after I tore one and fluid went everywhere for less than tahoe mounts lol.

people be crazy with prices.

I can see them changing the design to combat sagging. Maybe the rest is packaging? All I can offer is that I learned there are two different versions of mounts for the GMT800 trucks. They look identical, but one is more "heavy duty" for the 4WD and maybe trucks versus the wagons (SUVs). Maybe it's a stiffer rubber? They're designated by a strip of red paint on 'em. It's what my bro's truck had and what I put back on it.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swear they're the same as a standard GMT800 mount. Or, a GMT800 mount would work just the same. Does anyone know any different?
if its anything like gm alternator part numbers you're probably right!

Some ebay listings show the same mount for various gmt800 and gmt900 trucks. The gmt800 mounts look different than the h3 (though very similar) so I never did order one to compare.

Looking at pictures, I feel the gmt800 mount maybe a tiny bit shorter than the H3 mount...

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean on the Gen 4 trucks with AFM, yeah?

You can't beat GM up too badly over it. The EPA has steadily been tightening down on them to improve the fuel mileage of their SUVs. I think they eked by the standards set forth and released the first iteration of AFM prematurely. They revamped it with considerable reliability improvements around 2010. All considered, the risk of having a first or second generation of AFM still far outweighs any benefits it'd ever return. They just needed the engines to achieve X efficiency in whatever operational testing environments the EPA demanded. Us end users seem to rarely ever experience those operating environments.

as I understand it that's not exactly how it worked or at least a very generalized version.

the epa standards are an average across your fleet. trucks also having an offset factored in based on weight. this is why they kept high mileage small cars around. they needed the mileage to offset the trucks they sold. any mileage these trucks get above 15mpg in the city is just a inter class marketing battle. chevy marketing against Ford type thing. gm has always seemed to go mpg while Ford went throttle mapping. you test drive a Ford and that sells you. you do your research and you buy a chevy.

every notice just about every truck gets the same mileage. give or take a few here and there. a 4.3 v6 blazer was rated at the same mileage as a suburban and full size truck. size and weight be dammed.

then jump to say vans and there's a different standard.

on a side note, check a Toyota mini van.. thing weighs as much as my suv. has the same tow rating as my yukon but gets 30mpg. because it has to to complete in its class.

I'm sure there's more to it but it sure feels like all the manufactures loosey agree what mileage they need to build each segment to and then do it as cheaply as possible.

the epa gets a lot of blame cause it's an easy boogy man. but the devil is always in the details.

go check the date when the last administration lifted the mileage requirements, the trucks didn't start getting less mpg they just cut the little car market that was being propped up to meet epa standards.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see them changing the design to combat sagging. Maybe the rest is packaging? All I can offer is that I learned there are two different versions of mounts for the GMT800 trucks. They look identical, but one is more "heavy duty" for the 4WD and maybe trucks versus the wagons (SUVs). Maybe it's a stiffer rubber? They're designated by a strip of red paint on 'em. It's what my bro's truck had and what I put back on it.

I like the idea of the fluid filled ones for the smoothness. they lasted over 100k miles on my c6 and that's a manual tranny spinning tires and banging gears with 315s on the back. I don't see how these trucks are so ******* mounts. a few of you race around but I bet most of us never go over half throttle more than once a month.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BkE.gif

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every notice just about every truck gets the same mileage. give or take a few here and there. a 4.3 v6 blazer was rated at the same mileage as a suburban and full size truck. size and weight be dammed.
1690695533117.png
I think you're on to something there! When our trucks were new, the EPA gave the FlexFuel vehicles an MPG rating of 59 miles per gallon for CAFE standards. When that expired, GM quit offering them as FlexFuel vehicles.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ahh the first 4,6,8 I believe right?

I seem to remember the north star was supposed to be able to 50 miles without coolent by pumping just air thru some cylinders while running, effectively becoming air cooled.

sadly that Northstar is better left forgotten thou.

you guys every see the guy that build a running prototype in his back yard of using valve lift as the throttle? I saw a video somewhere years ago, it was some kinda wedge variable ratio. it idled as super low lift and then as rpm went up it added valve lift. no clue if it's true, but I heard gm bought it off him for next to nothing telling him he was going to be famous, only to shelf the project never to be heard from again. no clue if that's real, but I saw the Saab patent and prototype for variable compression ratio head, it was supposed to be ready for production till gm brought a controlling interest in Saab and said it wasn't profitable tech at this time.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on a oil note, amsoil released two new oils today, both geared towards hybrids.

something about more additives for condensation and faster pickup for all the stop starts. might be marketing but my volt might run a few times a month and only for a few minutes, and this yukon stop starts like 100 times a day. seems I'm their target audience except both call for 5w30 and they only offer it in 0w16 and 0w20.

I've been wanting to try the 0w20 on the yukon for a while thou.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89

Latest posts