What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as I understand it that's not exactly how it worked or at least a very generalized version.

the epa standards are an average across your fleet. trucks also having an offset factored in based on weight. this is why they kept high mileage small cars around. they needed the mileage to offset the trucks they sold. any mileage these trucks get above 15mpg in the city is just a inter class marketing battle. chevy marketing against Ford type thing. gm has always seemed to go mpg while Ford went throttle mapping. you test drive a Ford and that sells you. you do your research and you buy a chevy.

Honestly and obviously, I've never looked into it that deeply. No need or care to. But, "average across your fleet" seems ridiculous to me. Not doubting as I'm not surprised at all. Is it just a lazy way for the EPA to say "Brand A as a whole is more efficient than Brand B"? Yet, again, more credibility lost.

every notice just about every truck gets the same mileage. give or take a few here and there. a 4.3 v6 blazer was rated at the same mileage as a suburban and full size truck. size and weight be dammed.

I have. Also have personal experience with the 4.3 S-series versus my full size Tahoe. When I switched from my '02 S10 ex-cab to the Tahoe, I caught a little static on the S10 forums about the Tahoe being a gas hog. It gets the same MPG but it's faster, with more comfort and LOTS more room and capability.

then jump to say vans and there's a different standard.

on a side note, check a Toyota mini van.. thing weighs as much as my suv. has the same tow rating as my yukon but gets 30mpg. because it has to to complete in its class.

I'm sure there's more to it but it sure feels like all the manufactures loosey agree what mileage they need to build each segment to and then do it as cheaply as possible.

Like "bro code" to keep the playing field level and easier for everyone?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you guys every see the guy that build a running prototype in his back yard of using valve lift as the throttle? I saw a video somewhere years ago, it was some kinda wedge variable ratio. it idled as super low lift and then as rpm went up it added valve lift. no clue if it's true, but I heard gm bought it off him for next to nothing telling him he was going to be famous, only to shelf the project never to be heard from again.

Can't say I've ever heard of this. Not the same, but makes me think of the Koenigsegg Freevalve.

no clue if that's real, but I saw the Saab patent and prototype for variable compression ratio head, it was supposed to be ready for production till gm brought a controlling interest in Saab and said it wasn't profitable tech at this time.

Just looked up that SAAB engine. Interesting concept. Have you seen Nissan's variable compression engine?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly and obviously, I've never looked into it that deeply. No need or care to. But, "average across your fleet" seems ridiculous to me. Not doubting as I'm not surprised at all. Is it just a lazy way for the EPA to say "Brand A as a whole is more efficient than Brand B"? Yet, again, more credibility lost.

I have. Also have personal experience with the 4.3 S-series versus my full size Tahoe. When I switched from my '02 S10 ex-cab to the Tahoe, I caught a little static on the S10 forums about the Tahoe being a gas hog. It gets the same MPG but it's faster, with more comfort and LOTS more room and capability.

Like "bro code" to keep the playing field level and easier for everyone?

I think they call them Gentlemen's Agreements.

in reality it's borderline Monopoly practices but everyone does it.. if your airport has the big 3 airlines flying into it.. one will raise ticket prices 40$ for a few weeks, the other 2 will watch, if they don't see people making different decisions when buying tickets, they will all raise to match. if they do see it, they know the market is mostly Leisure routes and will lower back down. they are in competition, but not in the normal sense of it.. there's more than enough money to go around and after deregulation they learned pretty quickly they make more money when they loosely work together than when they fight each other to hard. they save that for slot access, they will fight to the death over that.(delta will run you into the ground before they give up atl lol) but once that's sorted out, it's all gravy. the gentleman's agreement is also say American has issues, they can book their passengers in open seats on the other 2 if they have them open at base costs.

across the fleet epa is because the manufacturers lobbied for it that way. it makes both sides look good, I'm sure the epa would want them to make each class as efficient across the board, but that's just not a profitable business practice. so you get an overall rating, kinda like crash standards for trucks are much lower than for cars because it costs more to make a 6k lbs truck perform as well in a crash test as a 2800lb car. just a lot more energy to get rid of. making trucks more expensive to build. the compromise is to rate them all differently so you can market both as 5 star ratings.

thing about the epa in reality is its a government agency and like all government agencies they are in the back pocket of lobbyist. it's good for business to have a Boogeyman to blame for 100k$ glorified minivans, but they run the show for real. the epa in no way is trying to put anyone out of business.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever heard of this. Not the same, but makes me think of the Koenigsegg Freevalve.

Just looked up that SAAB engine. Interesting concept. Have you seen Nissan's variable compression engine?

I have a buddy that is a huge Nissan fan boy, like been to the tour in Japan lol.

I've heard of it, but didn't read to deep into it. the s15 I believe it was? probably better done than the Saab haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pbruton89