What is this plate on my oil pan???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum is non magnetic. It you live in a cold climate and want to connect a magnetic pan oil warmer then I assume the plate would serve just that purpose.

Can this location easily be reached on a 4x4 model? Others have said it's right above the front diff.

paulwaul1369

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am curious what this plate is on the oil pan of my 5.3L 2008 Suburban LTZ 2WD.

At first I thought it was some kind of inspection plate but from looking at pics of the inside of the oil pan it doesn't appear to have a hole behind it.

So is it some kind of "skid plate" or is it some kind of reinforcement for the cast aluminum pan? Or???

View attachment 76983

Just kinda curious if anyone knows.
I'm about to find out. I'm changing the oil pump right now. I'm curious to see if it's a quick access to the oil pickup line that bolts to the oil pump. If its not a quick access i guess ill just continue to pull the pan since i already drained the oil. I'll send pics and updates on my findings.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm about to find out. I'm changing the oil pump right now. I'm curious to see if it's a quick access to the oil pickup line that bolts to the oil pump. If its not a quick access i guess ill just continue to pull the pan since i already drained the oil. I'll send pics and updates on my findings.
Nope, not a quick access.

OP
OP
kbuskill

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
As mentioned above, unfortunately, not a quick access. Pan is solid on the inside.