Cruise control not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vgreid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lay down in the floorboard, follow the brake pedal up and find the switch pictured below, unplug the wiring on the left side of the switch, the use a small flat blade screwdriver and pop the metal clip off that has the yellow mark on it. Then pull the switch part straight off the shaft towards the passenger side and it's off. Follow the same steps to put it back together. Make sure the new switch, shaft, booster rod and clip are all reinstalled the same way they were removed. It'll only go back together correctly one way.

636e2ef1-8fac-ff32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info in this thread. My cruise quit last week and I found this tip. Picked up the switch today and swapped it out in 10 min. Worked like a charm, I am back in business. Thanks!

vanvalks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my 2007 Yukon. This thread is great- just missing the part number and name to make it complete.

Can anyone confirm it is part number 25981009 Stop Lamp Switch?

stonecold_htm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Yukon Cruise Control Quite working

Thank you for the information. I have added some pictures and also found that all you need to do is clean the electrical contacts in the brake light/cruise-control-disengage switch to get it working again.

To get the switch out, I just used a small flat blade screwdriver, pried up on the center of the metal retaining clip, slid it over to the large opening and removed it with very little effort (5 min). Then I disconnected the electrical connector (press down on the plastic tang to release the connector). Once the switch is out you can see that it has 4 pastic hold-down tabs that keep the cover on. Simply and carefully, work the cover free with a couple small flat blade screw drivers to relase the plastic cover. I say carefully, so you do not break the plastic hold-down tabs.

Once open you will see two sets of electrical contacts; one set is normall open for the brake lights, and the other set is normally closed an used to disengage the cruise control when the brake pedal is pressed. The issue is with the normally closed contacts. Over time they get a slight layer of corrosion on the contacts and no longer make good electrical contact (gets worse over time). What happens is the cruse-control module thinks the brake pedal is pressed because no electrical signal makes it back tell it any differently.

Fix: I cut a small 1/4" strip of 2000 grit (very-fine) sand paper, folded it over a couple time, stuck it between the electical contacts and cleaned up the contacts. To make it easier to get the sand-paper between the contacts I removed the center spring and white push-button: be carefull not to loose the spring.

Once the contacts were cleaned, put it back together, reinstall in ther car and you'll be back on the road and using your cruise control again. Entire reapair can be done in under 30-minutes.

Sorry, I found no part number on the switch other than PA66 and a barcode 1586124562720107. Made in Mexico. The switch is fairly robust, unless you destroy it when removing it, just clean the contacts and be on your way.

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 237

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
great info...mine just gave a crap! gotta get into this switch! or get a new one

Reaction score
I am having an issue with the engaging the cruise control on my 2007 Yukon, After reading this thread I tried to open it and clean the corrosion and for some reason after I plugged it back and did a trial run the cruise control worked and after I disengaged it to try it again without success. So I will probably stop by the dealership and pick one up, and see if that solves the problem. stay tuned !

Smokymance

Boosted
Reaction score
Welcome Detroit!!!

I did the same thing, so i went and got a new one! works perfect now!

Garmoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did this today and i am unable to shift out of park when the new one is installed.. the old one managed to find the one hole in my garage even when i was working away from it... but anyway i called the stealership and they tell me it should work and that its the right one but as soon as its installed nothing. anyone have any ideas. got a few long drives ahead of me next month and cruise is vital. thanks in advance

stwilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My apologies for bringing an old thread back to life but I completed this repair today and got a three for one repair. It fixed the following:

1. Brake lights are now working again (they were intermittently working), which I did not know....this is what prompted me to do this repair
2. My cruise control works again (stopped working about a year ago...so nice to have it back)
3. Fixed an issue that recently started happening where the car would not shift out of park...again intermittently...I was getting around that issue by clicking the button on the end of the shifter to turn on the towing light which would then allow me to shift out of park

Thanks to the forum for sharing your knowledge and DIY fixes. My investment was just the $17 switch, which I picked up at my local CarQuest.

gmydoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cruise control Testing

I would like to pass along some info on the 07 up Tahoe concerning the cruise control. When GM went to steering wheel control cruise switches a few changes took place in the wiring and switches. Now the BCM body control module receives and send commands to control almost every button you push. As an example when you use the turn signals the switch sends a signal to the BCM and it decides which and how the turn signals should operate. The cruise control is no different when a CC function is selected the BCM decides that the parameters are met and it allows cruise operation.
In the shop I do not like to replace pieces until the culprit is found. So I read about the stop light switch possibility and checked my 07 and found it to be working correctly on one portion of the switch and not the other. The switch has two functions when the pedal is depressed open a circuit (for torque converter clutch circuit) and close the circuit for stop light operation and cruise control disengagement. My switch was working on the open circuit portion while the close circuit was staying closed all the time. In theory the BCM should have kept the brake lights on at all times. The BCM was smart enough to turn off the brake lights because one portion of the switch was working. During testing I could wiggle the switch around and get it to open the brake light portion of the switch and the cruise would work. The moral is while it appeared that the brake light switch was working correctly the BCM was hiding the problem. I also figured out a much easier way to diagnose a cruise control problem if there were something else failed versus the typical repair info. If you need help please post and i will try to help.

eeehabt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I have the same intermittent problem of the cruise control. I made sure there were no codes in any module on my truck using the Tech 2 scanner. Then I rushed and got a new switch and changed it in 5 minutes or less. I was very disappointed when the control didn't work :shocked:. All the people in this thread were happy because it worked with them immediately :gathering:. I don't know why it didn't work for me although I'm pretty sure there are no codes present. The part I installed is brand new. The ACD number is D1539J.
GM number is 25981009. Its picture is in the attachments. Could anyone help?

Attachments

• 20140626_163604.jpg
    20140626_163604.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 72

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo