14 bolt rear ends?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was reading that our 2015s have a new 9.5" ring gear. I believe this was previously found in 14 bolt semi float 1 ton and 3/4 ton trucks.

Some of ours have electric lockers too.

As a guy who does axle work on my 4x4 jeep, I'm impressed to have a "minivan" with a disc brake, selectable locker 14 bolt axle. That's awesome but almost overkill for our grocery store runs.
(I also need to read about how to activate the locker)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had a purpose built 73 Blazer that had a Dana 60 at the front and a full float 14 bolt at the rear. I had Detroit lockers at each end. I broke some things but never the axles or lockers. Friend of mine had a Jeep with the semi float 9.5 14 bolt. It never broke either.

I would say you will never have to worry about that rear axle as long as they are still built as tuff now as was then.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
the 1 tons are 11.5" AAR

You are correct now but starting in 1973 GM made the 10.5" 14 bolt till was then manufactured starting in 1994 by another company, I think called American Axle Manufacturing, and the size remained 10.5 " till I believe 2001 when the bigger 11.5" ring gear came out. So the one I was talking about was a 10.5" ring gear.

Earl D. Lawson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Rear end swap 14 bolt?

I wanna swap my stock chevy 10 bolt rear end for a more heavy duty 10.5 floater 14 bolt. I have a 1996 chevy tahoe. would this swap be that difficult???