165 miles and I got a service 4WD message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this in your other thread:

I have been reading this thread as a supplement to the other thread on this subject. But in this thread some have said that this problem may be user error. This is not the case, it is a computer control error in the system.

Auto 4wd is a system that is designed to sense road conditions and engage if the system decides its necessary. If you are running in auto 4wd on dry pavement, the system is not sensing a need, so basically its a real fancy 2wd setting. My Service light came on after engaging Auto 4wd on a day when I was driving thru down pours and then other areas where the pavement was still dry.

I think the problem here is computer based, there is a problem with the Auto 4wd programing that is causing it to not sense correctly. When our light came on, the truck felt like it was in 4wd when turning, the steering was stiff.

I personally run mine 2wd all the time until conditions call for either Auto or 4 Hi. But there is no problem if a guy wants to run it in auto 4wd all the time, as long as the system is operating properly and sensing road conditions correctly. My gut feeling is that the system may be to sensitive and it is sensing wheel spin while turning. It may actually be a problem with the sensors in the limited slip diff or the anti lock brake sensors or even the traction control sensors.

Either way this is not user error, it is a system based error that GM needs to fix and more than likely will. The model may be new, but these systems are not.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

I also believe Auto 4wd piggy backs on a number of sensors as mentioned. When you are dealing with as much automation as these things have there is no telling where the real problem may be, and it may be in an area that seems completely illogical, like a brake sensor.
You know what is funny they codes are public yesterday are unknown is crazy.

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a software glitch, something is not communicating with something else, or maybe even in the order it is supposed to. They will figure it out, but in the mean time it will frustrate a lot a people including me if it happens again.

flbassjag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just picked mine up from the dealer, and they don't have a fix. Said to just not drive it in 2wd Auto until GM comes up with a fix.

dirt-diver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Denali just got stuck in 4wd

1,300 miles and ours just stuck into 4wd. My wife has driven in Auto for a good chunk of the 1,300.

We've got a service center appt on Friday morning. Our winter is fast approaching so hopefully they'll have a full fix soon!

Last edited:

SVL

Reaction score
Just picked mine up from the dealer, and they don't have a fix. Said to just not drive it in 2wd Auto until GM comes up with a fix.

That's where I am as well. So, you and I (and many others) are driving our expensive brand new vehicles that are effectively no longer the 4WD product we purchased.

Pathetic work GM.

flbassjag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone pursued a Lemon Law claim for this? I could almost understand a $20K new Kia having issues, but this is disappointing for me to have spent over three times that and still have issues...in the first 300 miles.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We've noticed that this concern has come up a lot on the forum and strongly encourage going to the dealership to have it resolved. We would be more than happy to contact the dealership on your behalf to set up an appointment. If interested, please reach out to us via private message with your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and the preferred dealership. Let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.
GM Customer Care

SVL

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We've noticed that this concern has come up a lot on the forum and strongly encourage going to the dealership to have it resolved. We would be more than happy to contact the dealership on your behalf to set up an appointment. If interested, please reach out to us via private message with your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and the preferred dealership. Let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.
GM Customer Care

Eddie - Thank you for positing. I don't think anyone needs help making an appointment at the dealer - we need help from the maker of our vehicles to provide a fix.