165 miles and I got a service 4WD message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope you guys all get your situations figured out quickly. This thread reinforces my beliefs in never buying the new model when so many changes have been made and not tested(IE from NBS to NNBS and now from NNBS to this unreliable expensive SUV. Best of luck!

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2C7ksTq2w0UJnk2kpUvidDeirz2PJQBfQtM=w1358-h765-no.jpg

The guy told me they just update the software for transfer case. we may need a hacker to resolve the problem.

Also he told me if I want to run auto just do because is just keep relearn the system.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys with this Service 4X4 problem have had the transfer case relearn/recall done??

Maybe they screwed something up there. I have not had mine done (and will not until it gets older/first scratch/etc) and have had zero problems.

I am currently researching those 2 codes as well.

SVL

Reaction score
How many of you guys with this Service 4X4 problem have had the transfer case relearn/recall done??

I got the "Service 4WD" message before the relearn was done to my truck. The relearn was the first attempted fix, second was tightening a loose connection, third was replacing the transfer case position sensor, last was "we give up drive it in 2WD".

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Maybe they screwed something up there. I have not had mine done (and will not until it gets older/first scratch/etc) and have had zero problems.

I am currently researching those 2 codes as well.
Those codes are unknown they don't even know about but service Mechanic told me this is the 4 update so far it may be software programs problems.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

How many relearn you have already?

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

I got the "Service 4WD" message before the relearn was done to my truck. The relearn was the first attempted fix, second was tightening a loose connection, third was replacing the transfer case position sensor, last was "we give up drive it in 2WD".
How many relearn you have already?
[emoji574]

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just researched both of those codes - absolutely nothing to do with the 4x4.

Both deal with the Adaptive Cruise Control. "Distance Sensing Cruise Control Signal Message Counter Incorrect."

hmmm.... will be surprised if that fixes it but hopefully for you it does.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Both deal with the Adaptive Cruise Control. "Distance Sensing Cruise Control Signal Message Counter Incorrect."

Will let you know later GM ingenie

Will let you know later GM claim going to be open from my side and someone have to answer from ing. Department.
[emoji161]

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

I going vacation Thursday and on my way back which is 280 miles will put back to Auto.
[emoji574]

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Service 4wd message came up after the recall work was done. They did the relearn on it and so far so good.

I cycled it again yesterday with no message.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Service 4wd message came up after the recall work was done. They did the relearn on it and so far so good.

I cycled it again yesterday with no message.
I think we face software glitch an they GM are about to figured out.

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we face software glitch an they GM are about to figured out.

I posted this in your other thread:

I have been reading this thread as a supplement to the other thread on this subject. But in this thread some have said that this problem may be user error. This is not the case, it is a computer control error in the system.

Auto 4wd is a system that is designed to sense road conditions and engage if the system decides its necessary. If you are running in auto 4wd on dry pavement, the system is not sensing a need, so basically its a real fancy 2wd setting. My Service light came on after engaging Auto 4wd on a day when I was driving thru down pours and then other areas where the pavement was still dry.

I think the problem here is computer based, there is a problem with the Auto 4wd programing that is causing it to not sense correctly. When our light came on, the truck felt like it was in 4wd when turning, the steering was stiff.

I personally run mine 2wd all the time until conditions call for either Auto or 4 Hi. But there is no problem if a guy wants to run it in auto 4wd all the time, as long as the system is operating properly and sensing road conditions correctly. My gut feeling is that the system may be to sensitive and it is sensing wheel spin while turning. It may actually be a problem with the sensors in the limited slip diff or the anti lock brake sensors or even the traction control sensors.

Either way this is not user error, it is a system based error that GM needs to fix and more than likely will. The model may be new, but these systems are not.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

I also believe Auto 4wd piggy backs on a number of sensors as mentioned. When you are dealing with as much automation as these things have there is no telling where the real problem may be, and it may be in an area that seems completely illogical, like a brake sensor.