165 miles and I got a service 4WD message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DocHolliday

DocHolliday

Reaction score
So my plot thickens somewhat...the truck reserved for me to replace the one with the issue being bought back - that I was supposed to pick up tomorrow - was "sold out from under" the dealer, or so they say. I am now still in the damn Traverse tin can, with no visibility of when a replacement vehicle will be here. The dealer mentioned potentially ordering one for me which will take 10 weeks. If i order one I think I'll just order the Denali.

I've been patient up till now, but this is really pissing me off.

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is just crazy and unimaginable. Feeling sorry for you, but hoping things happen for a reason and it works out in your favor.

Last Chance

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my plot thickens somewhat...the truck reserved for me to replace the one with the issue being bought back - that I was supposed to pick up tomorrow - was "sold out from under" the dealer, or so they say. I am now still in the damn Traverse tin can, with no visibility of when a replacement vehicle will be here. The dealer mentioned potentially ordering one for me which will take 10 weeks. If i order one I think I'll just order the Denali.

I've been patient up till now, but this is really pissing me off.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It seems as if you have been very patient throughout this whole process. My Denali has been in service 4 times total and 3 times for the service 4wd and still no fix. I am about to start the lemon law process since GM does not seem to care about us customers buying $70k+ vehicles that they can't fix. Has the GM rep on this board chimed in at all on this issue?

Gassey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This may out of the date range, but I'm having the same issue. I have a '03 Yukon with 143k miles in it and the "Service 4wd" has come twice. The lights on the bush button 4wd (Auto, 2wd, 4 hi, 4 low) does a bunch of random blinking and has even been in neutral while going down the highway at 70 mph. Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
DocHolliday

DocHolliday

Reaction score
I feel like I have some closure and potentially some answers for some others. I was able to order a new LTZ Tahoe today which was fine, I added the retractable running boards, and the upgraded 22'' wheels. I previously had the "standard" 22'' wheels but wanted something a bit different so I'm happy, but have to wait 6-8 weeks for it to get here. I wanted to order the Denali but because this is a transfer of equity with the bank I had to have the same make / model. I'm fine with it really.

The other upside is they are letting me drive my original truck in the meantime. They've said the service 4WD light isn't a safety issue so I thought it good of them to go this route.

The service rep told me it's better to order one as the issue with the transfer case is in a number of unsold trucks and they aren't sure which ones are affected. So, if I were to have taken one off the lot I may have been in the same boat in a few hundred miles. He went on to say the issue is with using the truck in auto as opposed to 2WD. For some reason in auto is causes some transfer cases to heat up and throw the light - but using the same truck in 2WD doesn't cause the problem. Has to do with the clutches being too tight. So...for those that haven't used the auto setting, you might want to for several hundred miles just to see if you got a bad transfer case or not.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just returned from vacation...put 924 miles on the truck, no sign of the dreaded "Service 4WD" message. The truck performed well and ate up miles beautifully, very comfortable on the highway. I ran it in 2WD all the time.

Now that I am home and close to service I will run it in Auto to see if that triggers the issue again. If not, I can only assume that replacement of the transfer case position sensor did the trick.

Side note: The truck was loaded with 6 people, lots of gear, and towing a waverunner - averaged 18.0 mpg for the trip.

Just happens to me today around 3:00 pm on the gas station after that 4wd light come out ,cant even turn.
to the dealer Monday 7:00 am
and i go vacation Thursday.
:wtf::emotions122:
IMG_20140823_150215811.jpg

Last edited:

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may out of the date range, but I'm having the same issue. I have a '03 Yukon with 143k miles in it and the "Service 4wd" has come twice. The lights on the bush button 4wd (Auto, 2wd, 4 hi, 4 low) does a bunch of random blinking and has even been in neutral while going down the highway at 70 mph. Any help would be appreciated.

Yours is the Transfer Case Control Module gone bad, not unexpected for your year and mileage. Its a pretty easy fix on yours, but not necessarily cheap.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

GM really needs to figure this out before it snowballs. Our relearn on the Tcase is still holding.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the dealer now they scanning th truck now we let you guys know the codes.

SVL

Reaction score
My service tech just called and said that GMC is aware of the problem (duh) and that they are advising dealers to do a re-flash then return the trucks to customers advising them to drive in 2WD only until a solution is available.

Service says that they are starting to see it pop up on Tahoe's as well and more are coming in for this each day. Imagine what will happen when the weather here in Chicago turns (soon) and unsuspecting owners switch into Auto for the first time. This is a big issue with GMC.

So...I am now driving and making payments on a $75,000 truck that I can only use in 2WD with Chicago winter approaching and no fix date provided. It's now a safety issue as well.

Thanks GMC!