165 miles and I got a service 4WD message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eddie - Thank you for positing. I don't think anyone needs help making an appointment at the dealer - we need help from the maker of our vehicles to provide a fix.
Agree if you guys ing. Department of x the problem we really appreciated.

dirt-diver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We would be more than happy to contact the dealership on your behalf to set up an appointment.

The added interest in the issue from GM is certainly great news, and thank you for offering, but making the appointment is the easy part. You calling dealerships with detailed instructions about how to fully correct the issue is what we really need.

First we waited 7 months for it to arrive ("8 weeks we promise", yeah right!), plop down $75k, and 10 days later it's undrivable. We're taking it to the dealership tomorrow, but they're not going to know how to fix it.

We're going to have to print off this thread and try to speak mechanic to them, then try to talk them into giving the truck back to us before it's fully fixed. They have a serious habit of leaving our cars in their shop for weeks on end.

Ugh, what a mess.

Timw7419

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another Failure

Add me to the list of Service 4WD victims (2015 Tahoe LTZ). Mine has 7200 miles and is going back in for it's second visit. The recall has been done, and it has been reflashed once. For those of you switching in and out of 4WD Auto, try leaving it in 4WD Auto when you turn off the vehicle. After the first failure, I cycled it on/off many times during the trip, and then drove 1500 miles on vacation with no problems. As soon as I got back, I tried again, but left it in 4WD Auto when I turned it off. When I restarted, the error code came up. The first time happened the same way - turned off while in 4WD Auto.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting crazy now,I will put mine back to auto I soon come back tomorrow from vacation I want to be close to the dealer.
[emoji41]

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Everyone must call GM and open a case with them like I do they call me to ask me if my problem was solve and I just laughing and told to call back next week. lol

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is getting crazy now,I will put mine back to auto I soon come back tomorrow from vacation I want to be close to the dealer.
[emoji41]

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Everyone must call GM and open a case with them like I do they call me to ask me if my problem was solve and I just laughing and told to call back next week. lol

WOW! I hope the new transfer case, front/rear differentials, and programming fixes this issue for the 2015i models! Fingers crossed!! This will be my winter vehicle!

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW! I hope the new transfer case, front/rear differentials, and programming fixes this issue for the 2015i models! Fingers crossed!! This will be my winter vehicle!
Everyone who have 4wd is for a reason this is my family and winter vehicle too.
We need this solve already.
[emoji35]

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Last Chance<br />
It would say "service 4wd" right after start up.
<br />
So I got it ,I have 300 + miles in 4wd already what I do is put it back in 2wd before turn the car off and when I start and take off return to 4wd and this way a have not problem for now, it work for me should work for you guys too.<br />
<br />
[emoji41]<br/>

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my car to service. Apparently the computer got stuck in some lock mode where it didnt know what setting it was on. So they reset it.

The guy tried to tell me I had to have my car in neutral to put it on 4auto. I know that isn't true and showed it to him. He basically told me they haven't been working long on this cars and was not sure if it might be some computer glitch.

All I can do is monitor it and if it happens again take it again to the dealer. For now, the car is working perfectly fine with 2wd , 4 auto and everything else.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my car to service. Apparently the computer got stuck in some lock mode where it didnt know what setting it was on. So they reset it.

The guy tried to tell me I had to have my car in neutral to put it on 4auto. I know that isn't true and showed it to him. He basically told me they haven't been working long on this cars and was not sure if it might be some computer glitch.

All I can do is monitor it and if it happens again take it again to the dealer. For now, the car is working perfectly fine with 2wd , 4 auto and everything else.
Yes you can use in 4wd but before you turn the car off put back to 2wd,for the moment works for me as I testing this BS. Please call to GM and open a claim too please this way they advance in Toledo power plant with the solution.

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can use in 4wd but before you turn the car off put back to 2wd,for the moment works for me as I testing this BS. Please call to GM and open a claim too please this way they advance in Toledo power plant with the solution.

Yeah, we actually tested that scenario again. We turned the car off in 4auto and put it on. Well the problem didn't happen again. If it happens again I will open a case with GM.