165 miles and I got a service 4WD message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DocHolliday

DocHolliday

Reaction score
Just an end of the week update, still know nothing about the truck or what happens next. I'm pretty laid back but this is starting to get frustrating.

Last Chance

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got a "service 4WD" light on my 15' Denali with 5400 miles. Very frustration after I just fixed my drivers seat with heater hose and clamps after dealer failed to fix. I have had a 07' Avalanche, 09' Denali and a 11' Denali and never had any problems. Very dissapointing.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I cross my fingers hope mine still fine,good look every one

JackJare9455

Reaction score
Jeez... Driving in 4 HI on dry pavement is about the worst advice I have ever heard...

That kinda goes along the lines of draining your oil and running it a few hundred miles...

High oil pressure?? No problem... Drain that oil.. We will just grind out those bearing tolerances in a jiffy

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list of people with the "Service 4WD" message. We have driven our from day 1 in 2hi. Today we hit a heavy downpour so I flipped it to Auto 4WD. Stopped for dinner, got back in and flipped it back to 2wd and the indicator never illuminated. My dealer has been great on everything, maybe they can shed some light on this issue. On all my previous GM 4wd vehicles, problems like these always have to do with Transfer Case Control Module, maybe they had a bad batch.

To the guy with the older rig that posted he changed is TCM, you need to make sure it is in the same position as the switch or it will not work. For instance, if you had it in 4wd and you installed the TCM in 2wd position it will not work, hope this helps.

SVL

Reaction score
Add me to the list of people with the "Service 4WD" message.

Thanks for posting...looks like the number of us is growing. As of today my truck sits in service on the 3rd attempt to fix this issue. I think my dealer is stumped.

I'll post updates here (if that is okay with the OP) and hope that others with this issue will also.

Scott

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please guys post any updates,damm I have to go to Canada next month and now f...kn scare the shit out ,put my family in this situation ,I do not want to get stuck there or fare way from home.

SVL

Reaction score
Please guys post any updates,damm I have to go to Canada next month and now f...kn scare the shit out ,put my family in this situation ,I do not want to get stuck there or fare way from home.

When it happens it does not seem to impact the operation of the truck other than at slow speeds during tight turns. My service adviser told me that it is okay to drive the truck wit this error message and it should not cause additional damage. (Don't ask me how he can know this without knowing the cause of the problem.)

I drive at highway speed for about 50 miles with the issue and did not notice any problems, fuel usage did not appear to be increased either.

Good Luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo