165 miles and I got a service 4WD message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just returned from vacation...put 924 miles on the truck, no sign of the dreaded "Service 4WD" message. The truck performed well and ate up miles beautifully, very comfortable on the highway. I ran it in 2WD all the time.

Now that I am home and close to service I will run it in Auto to see if that triggers the issue again. If not, I can only assume that replacement of the transfer case position sensor did the trick.

Side note: The truck was loaded with 6 people, lots of gear, and towing a waverunner - averaged 18.0 mpg for the trip.
Good to know and good luck with that,keep us post ,thanks

flbassjag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a new 2015 Yukon Denali on Thursday. At 300 miles this morning the Service 4WD message appeared. The dealer doesn't have a loaner until next week, but said that it should be fine to drive. I'm not particularly thrilled about starting off with a new car this way after paying $70K for it after taxes.

SVL

Reaction score
Here we go again. Less than 20 miles after switching into "Auto" mode the "Service 4WD" light came on again and the truck once again struggles to turn at slow speeds.

Back to service we go. Still averaging 1 trip to service per week for each week owned. Will get GMC regional reps involved now - tired of the hassle that comes my brand new $75,000 GMC vehicle has become.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try to get buy back program because is insane to be in that situation very frustrating.
Good luck bro.
[emoji593]

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Now I will use my on "auto" all the time just in case.
We have a trip about 500 full trip. Lest see what happens.
[emoji295]

flbassjag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here we go again. Less than 20 miles after switching into "Auto" mode the "Service 4WD" light came on again and the truck once again struggles to turn at slow speeds.

Mine is also acting strange (struggling) during slow turns and while in reverse. Very odd, and disappointing - especially where I got a lot of grief before the warning message came on from my friends and family for trading in my Ford F250 Super Duty.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Back to service we go. Still averaging 1 trip to service per week for each week owned. Will get GMC regional reps involved now - tired of the hassle that comes my brand new $75,000 GMC vehicle has become.

Sounds as though you got a lemon. You probably already know this, but if they're not able to fix the problem in 4 attempts you're entitled to a new vehicle. Same thing applies if it's out of service for 30 business days. Looks like the statute of limitations to file the claim runs one year after purchase of the vehicle.

Now, I would talk with the dealer before going to an attorney about it as getting the lawyer involved will add time to the process. Also, the dealer didn't make the car and I'm willing to bet the guys at the service center are honestly trying to fix it. It seems to be that you've been nothing but patient and polite about this but, at some point, they simply need to replace the truck.

Illinois lemon law information.

OP
OP
DocHolliday

DocHolliday

Reaction score
I drove mine initially in auto mode and of course got the light, as well as a high pitched chirping from the selector knob. I didn't think about it till after getting the loaner which I drove in 2WD. They bought mine back and are supposed to give me the new LTZ this week or next. I will drive that one in auto mode right away and see if I get the problem again.

This is ridiculous for a 70k truck.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you must do to make sure is OK. Good luck bro[emoji106]

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

After reading this I had the wife cycle ours and it worked fine with no light. My dealer did a simple relearn on the Tcase and it seems to be holding. I truly hope they get it worked out for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo