2016 Yukon XL repairs for 100k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I’m the original owner of a 2016 Yukon XL Denali. It just flipped 100k. I took it into our dealer because the tire pressure sensor needed to be reset. While there I asked them to do a once over on it and give me an estimate on anything that needed work. Here is the list. The estimate is like $8k+….. soooo…. before I have a bunch of work done, I thought I’d ask if anyone has had these done on their similar year Yukon. Or if anyone has other advice. Given there is so much and it’s so much money I’m doing a little homework. We’ve had very few problems with this vehicle. I take it in for the usual maintenance at a local place near me and am always on time with oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

Does this all sound reasonable for a vehicle of this age and mileage?

- New spark plugs
- Front struts are apparently shot and need to be replaced (didn’t notice but maybe I don’t know what I’m supposed to be noticing with the ride)
- Surge tank leak
- Oil pan leak
- Oil lines leaking
- Rear differential leak
- Water pump leak
- Brake fluid change
- Transmission service
I would question everything except Spark Plugs, transmission service. It appears the service writer is trying get you to buy his new patio furniture. Shop an independent shop or two. Dealers are notoriously ridiculous with their recommendations. Have an independent shop check the possible leaks. I would guess most are loose clamps.

OP
OP
mamalisa08

mamalisa08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree with the others here that this is a highly suspect estimate. For what it’s worth, I have 247K on the original autoride front shocks on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali. They’ve had a slight seep from the top seal for at least the last 50K, and every year at inspection time the shop mentions it, but the ride control and damping are both perfect, so I keep running them.

And I would be interested in seeing photos of the alleged water pump and recovery tank leaks. If the coolant level isn’t dropping over a matter of weeks, they’re likely not leaks at all. 160-200K is a more typical lifespan for those components. Same with the alleged differential leak.
Ok, thank you. This is super helpful. I've already scheduled an appt with another place on Monday and am going to have them check these items. We're going to wrap up the work they're doing today and be done with the dealership for now.

OP
OP
mamalisa08

mamalisa08

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would question everything except Spark Plugs, transmission service. It appears the service writer is trying get you to buy his new patio furniture. Shop an independent shop or two. Dealers are notoriously ridiculous with their recommendations. Have an independent shop check the possible leaks. I would guess most are loose clamps.
ha ha. thank you

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

In most cases, the dealership should be the LAST place that you should have work done, if you care at all about your finances and how far your money goes.

jdwood1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have stated, please go with your second opinion and report back. I have a 2011 and have done a combination of my own service, paid services and quoted yet to be completed service and just offer the following for some additional assistance:

- New spark plugs
(was completed by previous owner apparently but was quoted around $300 for labor)
- Front struts are apparently shot and need to be replaced (didn’t notice but maybe I don’t know what I’m supposed to be noticing with the ride)
(Probably not, I have 101k on mine and no issues)
- Surge tank leak
(no experience, but if leaking I would fix it)
- Oil pan leak
(I have a slight seepage leak that doesn't even drip on the ground yet, yours may be similar like MANY others. IF bad replace. I got a quote of $500)
- Oil lines leaking
(Replaced by dealership I bought it from for $1k)
- Rear differential leak
(replaced fluid and seal myself so not sure on price)
- Water pump leak
(verify coolant levels as other noted and go from there. should not be too difficult to repair cost wise but GM water pump from online was around $250 but $150 on Rockauto)
- Brake fluid change
(good to do when you get to it. I did it myself but this should run around $200-250 at a dealer I would think)
- Transmission service
(I paid a shop to do this, $375 including dropping the pan, fluid and filter)

Reaction score
WELCOME to one the most helpful and informational places you could possibly find for the Yukon…..

What I’m hearing is “Let me get you in touch with our sales manager” type scenario…. DON’T BITE……

FIRST AND FOREMOST…Do you plan on keeping it for a while? If yes… see below… If no…. “ Let me get you in touch with our sales manager.”

I’ll say that’s absurdly high. Absolutely get a second opinion and have “leaks” verified. What are they defining as a “leak”? Unless you are dumping fluid and leaving drips and puddles in your driveway , I’ll say some seepage is ok and not cause for immediate concern. On that list, should there be actual leaks, I would hit the the potential “BIG ticket” items first meaning they have the potential to cause bigger issues.

IF (doubtful) your second opinion agrees with the stealership……….

I would address the cooling system issue first. Water pump, and surge tank. I would also replace the thermostat under an abundance of caution. Water pump can be kinda spendy…

Next I would look into the oil system issues and have them verified and fixed.
IF the rear diff is ACTUALLY leaking get that done as well.

The transmissions in these things are notorious for issues and I would do the 20 gallon flush and install a thermal bypass (super simple at home with needle nose pliers, 2 wrenches and a towel). The flush at the dealer I believe runs around $300 or so.

Spark plugs….unless you are having drive ability issues. That’s a no and save $500.

Struts.. go Aftermarket and save an ACTUAL ton of money. I replaced all four of mine for less than what the stealer wanted for just the front.

Brake fluid flush….. meh I do it every now and then but it not HIGH on my priority list.

Hopefully this helps.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is everyone on another planet? All of these items are VERY common and not a surprise at all for this body style. I’m honestly surprised they didn’t find more on a 16.

People around here are very anti-dealer and because of that automatically assume anything involving a dealer means you’re getting screwed or they’re lying to you. There are plenty of crappy techs, bad advisors, bad management, and scammers everywhere. I’ve seen plenty of crap work and unnecessary recommendations from chains and independents. Ask them to take you down and show you what they’re seeing or give you pictures. More and more dealers and doing video inspections now, too.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The dealer gave you good advice on a red flag that it’s time for the major 100k service interval.

They also gave you the current market rate for dealership labor. Just WOW! That’s a little higher than our last Denali purchased in 06 and the second one in 14. We’re on the third iteration now and in an Escalade. Cracked surge tank / coolant reservoir will cause overheating and potentially loss of a perfect motor. Fix that asap!

Is your Denali 4WD or 2WD?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beniskickbutt

Latest posts