2016 Yukon XL repairs for 100k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WELCOME to one the most helpful and informational places you could possibly find for the Yukon…..

What I’m hearing is “Let me get you in touch with our sales manager” type scenario…. DON’T BITE……

FIRST AND FOREMOST…Do you plan on keeping it for a while? If yes… see below… If no…. “ Let me get you in touch with our sales manager.”

I’ll say that’s absurdly high. Absolutely get a second opinion and have “leaks” verified. What are they defining as a “leak”? Unless you are dumping fluid and leaving drips and puddles in your driveway , I’ll say some seepage is ok and not cause for immediate concern. On that list, should there be actual leaks, I would hit the the potential “BIG ticket” items first meaning they have the potential to cause bigger issues.

IF (doubtful) your second opinion agrees with the stealership……….

I would address the cooling system issue first. Water pump, and surge tank. I would also replace the thermostat under an abundance of caution. Water pump can be kinda spendy…

Next I would look into the oil system issues and have them verified and fixed.
IF the rear diff is ACTUALLY leaking get that done as well.

The transmissions in these things are notorious for issues and I would do the 20 gallon flush and install a thermal bypass (super simple at home with needle nose pliers, 2 wrenches and a towel). The flush at the dealer I believe runs around $300 or so.

Spark plugs….unless you are having drive ability issues. That’s a no and save $500.

Struts.. go Aftermarket and save an ACTUAL ton of money. I replaced all four of mine for less than what the stealer wanted for just the front.

Brake fluid flush….. meh I do it every now and then but it not HIGH on my priority list.

Hopefully this helps.
20 gallons
:yaoface2: (WTF)...........

Coveman

Reaction score
On my 2013 I did a few of those items around 100k miles. I do my own work so parts only:
Spark plugs $30
Transmission service $50 for fluid, $25 for filter
Oil cooler lines $101 (this is a time consuming job for 4x4s)
Brake fluid flush $25 (this should normally happen in conjunction with replacing brakes)

None of the other items have been worked on my truck before. IF your water pump is leaking from the weep hole it definitely needs attention, and the expansion tank cannot have cracks as it is integral to the cooling system so those would be areas to address.

I’ve heard similar stories from both dealerships and auto chains, hopefully you can find an independent that is trustworthy and can point out these problems on your truck for you to see.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

ViperOne

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all! I’m the original owner of a 2016 Yukon XL Denali. It just flipped 100k. I took it into our dealer because the tire pressure sensor needed to be reset. While there I asked them to do a once over on it and give me an estimate on anything that needed work. Here is the list. The estimate is like $8k+….. soooo…. before I have a bunch of work done, I thought I’d ask if anyone has had these done on their similar year Yukon. Or if anyone has other advice. Given there is so much and it’s so much money I’m doing a little homework. We’ve had very few problems with this vehicle. I take it in for the usual maintenance at a local place near me and am always on time with oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

Does this all sound reasonable for a vehicle of this age and mileage?

- New spark plugs
- Front struts are apparently shot and need to be replaced (didn’t notice but maybe I don’t know what I’m supposed to be noticing with the ride)
- Surge tank leak
- Oil pan leak
- Oil lines leaking
- Rear differential leak
- Water pump leak
- Brake fluid change
- Transmission service
My opinion…you ask the dealer to look it over and give you an estimate. Sounds like you got what you ask for, they went looking for any sign of a potential issue regardless of severity. You get to pick what gets done and when and by whom. 8k is a lot of money and like others have stated I would shop around. I’m not pro dealer but I do like the idea of techs being familiar with my make and model. Like everyone else I think dealership service is extremely high and yes I’ve had bad service at both dealerships and auto repair facilities. I also do my own repairs when possible because I trust my work.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, you should refer to your owner's manual listing of scheduled services needed.

Depending on your service history, you certainly need the tranny service, spark plugs, and brake fluid change. These are scheduled maintenance items listed in your owner's manual. You also likely need a gear oil change for the transfer case, assuming you have 4wd. You may also need an engine air filter, and a cabin air filter. There may be other items listed in your owner's manual that do not immediately come to mind.

Secondly, look at your garage floor. If you see oil and/or coolant spots, that's a clear confirmation that the leaking items need attention.

It always pays to get a second opinion/estimate, but remember the old saying: "Never ask a barber if you need a haircut ".

dark_knight

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why would he be joking? Who better to look over a vehicle than a place that works on basically nothing but that vehicle?
Don't take it personal man. You might be one of the good ones but there are plenty that are not. My parents took a car to a dealership because the ac pump compressor was going bad and bogging down the engine. I knew what the problem was but they trusted that dealer. After the 8k estimate for basically a new engine, I told my dad to cut the ac belt and drive it home. It never ran better. that's just one of many stories.

04pillows_artisan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all! I’m the original owner of a 2016 Yukon XL Denali. It just flipped 100k. I took it into our dealer because the tire pressure sensor needed to be reset. While there I asked them to do a once over on it and give me an estimate on anything that needed work. Here is the list. The estimate is like $8k+….. soooo…. before I have a bunch of work done, I thought I’d ask if anyone has had these done on their similar year Yukon. Or if anyone has other advice. Given there is so much and it’s so much money I’m doing a little homework. We’ve had very few problems with this vehicle. I take it in for the usual maintenance at a local place near me and am always on time with oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

Does this all sound reasonable for a vehicle of this age and mileage?

- New spark plugs
- Front struts are apparently shot and need to be replaced (didn’t notice but maybe I don’t know what I’m supposed to be noticing with the ride)
- Surge tank leak
- Oil pan leak
- Oil lines leaking
- Rear differential leak
- Water pump leak
- Brake fluid change
- Transmission service
Spark plugs 120k

I did all the other stuff at 40k. no water pump. did rear diff, brake fluid, trans @40k , transfer case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CustomCoffinWorks

Latest posts