4WD/Auto/2WD Feedback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we had a blast of winter snow this morning and this evening. I decided to drive the truck and to "try" and break the infamous 4WD system. Started in 2WD (how I picked it up), it was fine. Stopped, started in "Auto", drove that way. No issues. Later trip, placed it in 4WD Hi and drove for awhile. Pulled into Starbucks parking lot. Tight radius parking here so placed it back into "Auto", t-case shifted and back into 2WD. Parked with no issues. Came back out, started the truck in "Auto" and drove to work. Later meeting...started the truck in "Auto"...drove a few miles. Snow coming down HARD....placed it into "4WD HI" while in motion. Made a tight turn to verify 4WD....yep...working fine. I reached my destination and placed back into "2wd"....parked the truck and returned back to "Auto" and turned it off.

So far....it's GRRRRREEEEAAAAAT!!

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we had a blast of winter snow this morning and this evening. I decided to drive the truck and to "try" and break the infamous 4WD system. Started in 2WD (how I picked it up), it was fine. Stopped, started in "Auto", drove that way. No issues. Later trip, placed it in 4WD Hi and drove for awhile. Pulled into Starbucks parking lot. Tight radius parking here so placed it back into "Auto", t-case shifted and back into 2WD. Parked with no issues. Came back out, started the truck in "Auto" and drove to work. Later meeting...started the truck in "Auto"...drove a few miles. Snow coming down HARD....placed it into "4WD HI" while in motion. Made a tight turn to verify 4WD....yep...working fine. I reached my destination and placed back into "2wd"....parked the truck and returned back to "Auto" and turned it off.

So far....it's GRRRRREEEEAAAAAT!!

Ahhh... that beautiful BLACK detail and all of that road salt!

ScottV503

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is awesome to hear! Thanks for running the transfer case through a workout and posting.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
too bad there isn't a winter sealant you can spray on your ride for the winter months.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, too, have tried driving it in Auto, shutting it down (in Auto) and then turning it back on and shifting back into 2wd. No problems here either. I'm cautiously optimistic that they've solved the problem.

fszatko

Reaction score
I had the 4WD error once so far. As with others, it appeared after turning off the vehicle in AWD mode. Strange thing was that I drove in AWD for 1-2 weeks with multiple starts/stops on/off episodes before it occurred.

Strange thing is that I usually back into my parking space. The one time that the 4WD message appeared was when I pulled forward into my parking space and turned the vehicle off.

The error occurred when I started the car and immediately went into reverse to back out of the space.

I've always wondered if it has anything to do with making 'reverse' the first gear when turning the vehicle off/on in AWD mode.

doba_s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How does the Auto mode work?

Does it detect slippage on one of the wheels and engages front transfer case?

Just not sure why is there 2wd and Auto if you can drive in Auto which will be in 2wd and when is needed it will enable 4wd ?

OP
OP
motorwerks

motorwerks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the 4WD error once so far. As with others, it appeared after turning off the vehicle in AWD mode. Strange thing was that I drove in AWD for 1-2 weeks with multiple starts/stops on/off episodes before it occurred.

Strange thing is that I usually back into my parking space. The one time that the 4WD message appeared was when I pulled forward into my parking space and turned the vehicle off.

The error occurred when I started the car and immediately went into reverse to back out of the space.

I've always wondered if it has anything to do with making 'reverse' the first gear when turning the vehicle off/on in AWD mode.

I seriously doubt that....I'll bet over 90% of these trucks are started up in the morning in "Auto" and reverse IS the first gear chosen when backing out of space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimxms