5.3 Tick/Knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is a lifter tick could my current oil pressure cause this?

I know 40psi idle is like the norm for these trucks. My truck on cold start idle has around 45-50psi. When warm idling it has around 35psi. When I am cruising at 1500 rpm warm it has around 45psi. And finally at around 4000rpm it has like 60psi.

Would this be too low? I feel like it’s not but just looking for a second opinion.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is a lifter tick could my current oil pressure cause this?

I know 40psi idle is like the norm for these trucks. My truck on cold start idle has around 45-50psi. When warm idling it has around 35psi. When I am cruising at 1500 rpm warm it has around 45psi. And finally at around 4000rpm it has like 60psi.

Would this be too low? I feel like it’s not but just looking for a second opinion.
Your oil pressure numbers are fine. General rule of thumb is 10psi for every 1000 rpm. We of course get much more than that at idle. Lack of oil changes (dirty oil) can cause crap buildup in your oil passages and in your lifter bodies which can cause them to stick. That crap in your oil will also eventually end up embedded into your cam, rod and main bearings if the problem is severe enough.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I forgot to note here. My oil pressure gauge does have an issue where it jumps all over the place. I don't think its a real problem with oil pressure, but a problem with the stepper motor for the gauge itself. What's your guys opinion, think it could be fluctuating due to something mechanical?(like pickup tube oring) and causing the tick or just a bad stepper? Debating if it's worth throwing a manual gauge on it.

Heres the video for this.

SORRY for swearing like a sailor lol.

viven44

Reaction score
Something I forgot to note here. My oil pressure gauge does have an issue where it jumps all over the place. I don't think its a real problem with oil pressure, but a problem with the stepper motor for the gauge itself. What's your guys opinion, think it could be fluctuating due to something mechanical?(like pickup tube oring) and causing the tick or just a bad stepper? Debating if it's worth throwing a manual gauge on it.

Heres the video for this.

SORRY for swearing like a sailor lol.

Don't know what's going on with the gauge... but definitely not worth installing a manual gauge with what I see there...... The gauge is responding to RPM, so you are good (and btw I am not hearing any knocking in the background.)

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what's going on with the gauge... but definitely not worth installing a manual gauge with what I see there...... The gauge is responding to RPM, so you are good (and btw I am not hearing any knocking in the background.)
yeah the knocking cannot be heard while normal driving. Only hear it while outside near the engine or revving it while totally still in my driveway. AND in the drive thru with echoes of the walls. Was at o'l Mickey D's today and I could hear the think clicking and clacking off the wall of the drive thru lol. honestly may be an exhaust leak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ebutler2200