5.3 Tick/Knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Interested to see what you find. Take pics of where you tap into for the mechanical gauge, etc..... and not sure if your plan is to have a gauge permanently, if so, I'd definitely use this instead of the cheap plastic tubing that comes with the mechanical gauge

Will do! And right now I’m just doing a temporary test. I think I’m going to be tapping into where the sending unit usually goes.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah so about that oil pressure test, that’s not happening. Lost the adapter, it fell onto the bell housing then to god knows where. Should’ve tested it somewhere else. Just going to throw a sending unit on it and see what it reads on the cluster.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah so about that oil pressure test, that’s not happening. Lost the adapter, it fell onto the bell housing then to god knows where. Should’ve tested it somewhere else. Just going to throw a sending unit on it and see what it reads on the cluster.
Yeah so I ordered a new gauge set... Going to hook in near the oil pump behind the PS pump theres a plug. I put the new sending unit in and now it reads 20psi on cold idle. Either it lost more oil pressure or that new sender is DOA.

viven44

Reaction score
Yeah so I ordered a new gauge set... Going to hook in near the oil pump behind the PS pump theres a plug. I put the new sending unit in and now it reads 20psi on cold idle. Either it lost more oil pressure or that new sender is DOA.
20PSI on cold idle is definitely not good (if true).
I would definitely suspect the gauge itself...

Again sending units can be bad as well. I always use OE parts so in this case an AC Delco or GM part. One below sounds like the correct one. I assumed you used this one.

OP
OP
JPVortex

JPVortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20PSI on cold idle is definitely not good (if true).
I would definitely suspect the gauge itself...

Again sending units can be bad as well. I always use OE parts so in this case an AC Delco or GM part. One below sounds like the correct one. I assumed you used this one.

I used a NAPA one. It seems to be doing its job. The idle pressure stays at around 20psi cold or warm. And it does rise when I rev it, but it only goes up to around 40psi no matter what RPM.

I've decided to throw a new pan gasket in and replace that pickup tube O-Ring. The pan gasket is leaking BAD anyways so it's a 2 birds with 1 stone scenario. I started working on it for around an hour today, got to the point where I just have 4 bolts holding the oil pan on. I have the drain plug out and am letting any oil drip out of it into a catch pan overnight to avoid much mess.

Front differential is lowered down, as far as I can get it before it hits the center link, so hopefully that's far enough to get the pan out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meatman