$650 for new fluids at 36k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took my 09 Yukon XL Denali in for an oil change and tire rotation. Service manager comes out and shows me the fluids on a board suggesting I change everything except the brake fluid (he didn't mention that one) for $650ish plus tax. He said the axle fluids were black (they looked dark). Isn't axle fluid dark to start with? His clear axle fluid was almost clear. I asked why does GM say they are good for life, something must be wrong if they are that much color change. He said nothing is wrong with the axles. I denied the repair and he mentioned "I'll write down that you denied recommended service."

Question for the GM rep, can they deny a power train claim in the future? If so then why don't they change the fluids for free if they are that bad at around 70% life on the tranny/transfer case and when GM doesn't even recommend changing the axle fluids or power steering.

Question for everyone else, what is normal for the axle fluid. Everything else was slightly darker than new fluid if my fluid was actually on the sample.

I usually change non engine drive train fluid at the 45k mark or so. Then they tried to say synthetic oil costs about $80 more. They did give me a $40 credit or so for that when I complained.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Total scam - at least you know they're a place to avoid. Remember that "service managers" are commisioned sales persons (who know nothing about cars) and treat their comments accordingly. The only honest recommendation you are going to get is in your owner's manual - trust it.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
phileaglesfan,

I am not entirely sure. I will look into this for you and get back with you.

Thank you,

Elizabeth, GM Customer Service

vserduchka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What a ripoff. This is exactly the type of thing I'm always trying to make people aware of on this forum. Who sticks up for us "normal" working guys and gals? No one!

And when you try to stick up for yourself you're labeled as cheap, or "the cause of the problem," or even worse, the reason a warranty claim is denied.

Just don't give that shop your business anymore.

Better yet, could you tell us what shop it was and where? That way the rest of us know not to go there either.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

fubar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had that done before with my wife's car. It was back in 2009 and the car was an 07 Edge. Jiffy Lube came back with a list of things it needed and bill was like 400+
I said, no and all i need is the oil changed. He said I was gonna have problems with the axle and transmission in a few months, And after I said NO like 10 times the so called manager had a completely different face and attitude towards me and walked away an tossed away the estimate sheet LOL. F**k them I said.

That same 07 Edge is now 4yrs old and never done anything but oil changes to it and nothing this guy ever mentioned went wrong.

skippy737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats disappointing to hear. i drive 3500-4000 miles per year-- its hilarious when they try to tell me the same crap you guys get- i look at them like they have two heads--- a 2010 yukon denali with 6500 miles needs those kinds of services. i think not.

OP
OP
P

phileaglesfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid them for the oil change and rotating the tires (which they tried to overcharge me for) and that was it. When I stated I know what the owner's manual says about maintenance intervals he said "It changes every day." I told him to prove it and he walked away.

I'm seriously thinking about writing to the owner of the dealership. This was the first time in about 6 years of going there that they tried to pull this crap and I knew it was crap as soon as he brought out the fluids. They did get another guy to fall for it though and is having all of his fluids changed Monday. Go in for a stupid oil change and end up paying 10 times as much for maintenance that is not required.

Elizabeth,
Thank you for researching it and I'm looking forward to your answer. This is one "sales" tactic that needs to end though. I'm not exactly new to owning cars, especially GM cars as this is probably around my 8-10th GM vehicle in about 15 years. (I have 3 in my garage right now). They don't take a rocket scientist to figure out maintenance intervals and such. Actually with this dealership I'm glad my Denali is so reliable as I question about them fixing anything. I know darn well I wouldn't get something fixed out of warranty thru them because of their sky high charges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035