9,865 miles 4Wd services just come up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for them to issue a recall on this by recommending that everyone run in Auto 4wd all the time to make their SUV break it'll never happen. The vast majority of people only use anything to do with their 4wd (auto included) when the conditions suggest it as there's no reason otherwise. These vehicles have a VERY good traction control system which the majority of people find adequate enough for rainy conditions and is actually good enough with several inches of snow on the ground so 4wd is rarely even needed unless you have 8" or more of fresh snow or you're going through mud. These are the reasons why I find it ludicrous for anyone to run in Auto 4wd all the time and I'd bet that GM never counted on it either even with the service guy at the dealer stating that you should be able to. I'm betting that the reason the auto 4wd senses wheels spin while turning is because essentially one wheel IS spinning at a slightly higher rate than the other as the vehicle makes the corner. Depending on what the variables and setting are in the program this could engage 4wd (if running in auto 4wd all the time) on dry pavement and cause significant damage. No thanks. I'll continue driving worry free and not having my vehicle in the shop and only use my 4wd system when the conditions call for it :waytogo:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I'm with you on this Jacob. Don't use it unless you need it. And if you need it, just throw it in 4wd. Besides, you people in Jersey don't get shit for snow, what are you worried about?

OP
OP
humer101

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you on this Jacob. Don't use it unless you need it. And if you need it, just throw it in 4wd. Besides, you people in Jersey don't get shit for snow, what are you worried about?
Disagree with you, we have a problem with the car and they have to be fix now no later, not way we have to wait up to snow coming or ice.
And you don't know what happens where I live, I worried about because is a lot sleeping hills here and is not even funny. I don't know where you located but looking you have no idea about the struggle of others.
Last question do you have any 2015?
If is no do not make any conclusions about, because we pay for complete 2015 car no halfway.
[emoji41]

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Too cool man. I grew up in the Adirondacks, I know a thing or two about snow and dealing with it. Do I own a 2015? No. I wont spend the ridiculous money they want for them. Do I work on them every day, and have for a number of years? Yes I do. Yes they had a calibration issue with software on the TC. But even still, Never would I drive on dry pavement in Auto 4wd or 4wd for no reason. That has ALWAYS been known to bring extreme wear and tear on the components.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too cool man. I grew up in the Adirondacks, I know a thing or two about snow and dealing with it. Do I own a 2015? No. I wont spend the ridiculous money they want for them. Do I work on them every day, and have for a number of years? Yes I do. Yes they had a calibration issue with software on the TC. But even still, Never would I drive on dry pavement in Auto 4wd or 4wd for no reason. That has ALWAYS been known to bring extreme wear and tear on the components.

....and if a person who works on them daily is confirming this same thought then there must be some truth in it ;) Thank you for confirming Fiatdale :waytogo:

OP
OP
humer101

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally someone said good thing about.
I'm alright with you,I have 5 kids and is very dangerous over here and is very frustrating this problem because I think will have same problem when this whether come here.
[emoji122]
I spend the money because I feel secure in the truck. This truck is a must to have for my family and me.

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think there is slight miscommunication here. I don't think anyone here wants to run in Auto 4wd all the time. But, we should be able to engage it when needed(whether it is redundant to traction control or not) without getting the service 4wd light. It is a system that was bought with the truck and it should work. Also, no one has said what effect this has on 4wd. I don't want to engage 4wd on a muddy or snowy road and then not be able to go back to 2wd because of a system failure. This would be like saying, if your headlights don't work then don't drive at night, it is a system that is malfunctioning that is not user error.

BTW, They delivered mine with only 4 miles on it and the selector was in Auto 4wd from the factory, I turned it 2wd. If I was not paying attention there is no telling how long I would have driven it that way.

GM needs to solve the issue, period.

OP
OP
humer101

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is slight miscommunication here. I don't think anyone here wants to run in Auto 4wd all the time. But, we should be able to engage it when needed(whether it is redundant to traction control or not) without getting the service 4wd light. It is a system that was bought with the truck and it should work. Also, no one has said what effect this has on 4wd. I don't want to engage 4wd on a muddy or snowy road and then not be able to go back to 2wd because of a system failure. This would be like saying, if your headlights don't work then don't drive at night, it is a system that is malfunctioning that is not user error.

BTW, They delivered mine with only 4 miles on it and the selector was in Auto 4wd from the factory, I turned it 2wd. If I was not paying attention there is no telling how long I would have driven it that way.

GM needs to solve the issue, period.
Yes will agree here I don't want to run auto all the time only in wet or worse but after the guys complaint about I was wondering if the system will fail in winter time, is when I desired to do and guess what it fail.
I have not problem with the truck in love the truck, but we need GM to step up with this problem, this is Sirius situation that we are now.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, it's very likely that a miscommunication has happened. However, at the start of this thread the OP stated having it in Auto 4wd for 200 miles until his vehicle told him there was now an issue and I believe I've read a couple more of his (and maybe a couple others) posts stating he'd rather just keep it in Auto all the time without consequence. I've never said that there isn't some sort of problem that GM may need to rectify but rather pointing out running your vehicle in auto 4wd is just putting undo wear and tear on components and making them wear out much quicker than necessary as there's no reason for the vehicle to be ready to get into 4wd when it's sunny or even rainy out. :shrug:

Last edited:

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what the 2015 manual says about the various different modes:

2 H (Two-Wheel Drive High): Use for driving on most streets and highways. The front axle is not engaged. This setting provides the best fuel economy. AUTO (Automatic Four-Wheel Drive): Use when road surface traction conditions are variable. When driving in AUTO, the front axle is engaged, and the vehicle's power is sent to the front and rear wheels automatically based on driving conditions. This setting provides slightly lower fuel economy than 2 H. Do not use AUTO mode to park on a steep grade with poor traction such as ice, snow, mud, or gravel. In AUTO mode only the rear wheels will hold the vehicle from sliding when parked. If parking on a steep grade, use 4 m to keep all four wheels engaged. 4 H (Four-Wheel Drive High): Use this position when extra traction is needed, such as when driving on snowy or icy roads, when off-roading, or when plowing snow. 4 L (Four-Wheel Drive Low): This setting engages the front axle and delivers extra torque. Choose 4 L when driving off-road in deep sand, deep mud, or deep snow, and while climbing or descending steep hills. Shifting into 4 n will turn Traction Control and StabiliTrak off.

I don't know if that solves anything since a lot of the discussion here seems to be highly subjective. I can tell you that one of the main places I use the auto setting in our 2012 Suburban is when driving over the local mountain passes. We frequently have localized inversion areas where the air temp will be lower than it is higher up the mountain. As a result the road can go from simply wet to icy without a whole lot of warning. It's not unusual for me to make the whole 100 mile trip in auto mode while traveling at highway speeds the whole time. If the pavement is dry I leave it in 2HI. I accept that doing this may place extra wear on the system but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make to help keep my family safe. That said, given what the manual says about the modes, simply driving in auto should not cause the system to break that soon.

I don't own a 2015 yet but when I get one I'll probably throw it in AUTO for a little while just to make sure the system works. By then it'll be winter so there's very little chance the roads here in Oregon will be dry.