99 Yukon Fuel Pressure Regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

619NJ

Reaction score
Ok so I need to replace the original one. Hard starts after it sits, if you shut it of and start it back up it starts immediately. Anyone done this? How much of a pain is it to pop the upper plenum off and change the regulator?

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
Ok so I need to replace the original one. Hard starts after it sits, if you shut it of and start it back up it starts immediately. Anyone done this? How much of a pain is it to pop the upper plenum off and change the regulator?

Did it on my 1999 Suburban, and if you take your time and follow the steps (forget where I found them), it is straight forward. Only issue I had was I put the distributor cap on and it was off by 180D.

My question is, are you sure its the FPR? I thought the same thing, and my problems were same as yours, and after replacement (and new distributor cap) it did the same thing. It actually was my fuel pump going out again, replaced it (2nd time in 18 months) and it worked fine.

OP
OP
619NJ

619NJ

Reaction score
Yikes well that stinks! To be honest, in not 100% sure. If I turn the key on, and wait for the fuel pump to turn on and pressurize the system it starts right up though. I'm thinking I'm going to hold off on the regulator for now. It's part of the spider, so I'll just wait till the spider goes an ill change both at the same time.

99Yukon4x4

Reaction score
Saw a video on youtube the other day on replacing the FPR, and all he did was remove the bolts holding the intake plenum on, removed the air intake, and did not remove the fuel line. Lifted it up and was able to swap it out. If you are going to do it, I would recommend removing your hood to have more room.

OP
OP
619NJ

619NJ

Reaction score
Saw a video on youtube the other day on replacing the FPR, and all he did was remove the bolts holding the intake plenum on, removed the air intake, and did not remove the fuel line. Lifted it up and was able to swap it out. If you are going to do it, I would recommend removing your hood to have more room.

I watched one the other day too. I'm going to hold off on it for now. Since I have been driving it, it stopped giving me trouble. The PO had this truck sitting for a year and a half and most of the issues I have had worked themselves out after driving it regularly. Keeping my fingers crossed.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you do not need to remove your hood for any reason unless maybe you are taking the whole engine out. what were your pressure test results?

OP
OP
619NJ

619NJ

Reaction score
you do not need to remove your hood for any reason unless maybe you are taking the whole engine out. what were your pressure test results?

I agree. I would not remove the hood. I didn't pressure test it. I haven't had time.

Ridinpsycho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I changed mine on a 1999 Tahoe and it took me 45 minutes no removing of hood or any fuel lines just go slow and take your time I'm no mechanic by any means

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevpar