AC Delco oil filter number ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJR

Reaction score
Will someone please clarify the difference between PF46, PF46E, PF59, and PF61? My manual says to use PF59 but the parts store says 61 and if I look on Rockauto the first to come up is 46, or 46E....? I bought the 61 not knowing this ahead of time but now I don't know what to use? Any know for sure what the right filter is for a 2002 Hoe 5.3L flex?

WildBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the manual or what the dealership says. you could go to a parts store and compare them with one another. I know on my camaro there is an alternate oil filter that is twice as long as the suggested filter. So it has more filter media and hopefully is less likely to clog. So I use that one. But I have no idea of the differences on the Yukon filter.

OP
OP
MDJR

MDJR

Reaction score
Thanks. I've been reading online and it looks like the 61 replaced the 59, but the 59 had a check valve and the 61 does not. Apparently it needs the check valve so why stop making it? RockAuto is the only place I see that still offers the 59. If I can't find it locally I'm going to exchange the 61 for the shorter 46 because that one at least has the check valve. I'm just confused by why the have so many dang oil filters for one engine!

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whoa.. i was waay off. . The others I'll have to check when I get to work tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MDJR

MDJR

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I called the dealer this morning and based off my VIN# he said it called for the PF46. I returned the 61 and I'm going to get the 46.

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i was wrong.. ill edit this, and post pix later.. the difference in the PF46 and PF46E is the base plate and the PF46E is a threaded INSERT.. Instead of being a solid part od the base plate, as on the PF46.

OP
OP
MDJR

MDJR

Reaction score
What difference would that make in regards to useage? When I returned the filter pepboys only had the 46e, so I did not purchase it.

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the past. Too much pressure or overtightening could cause them to come apart, its a weak point. And to be honest. I dont sell many of them, I usually offer the other one instead.

IMAG0515.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MDJR

MDJR

Reaction score
I bought the PF46, non E, and installed it tonight. Thanks for the help. Just wish I knew it took 6qts, have to get more oil tomorrow!

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've been reading online and it looks like the 61 replaced the 59, but the 59 had a check valve and the 61 does not. Apparently it needs the check valve so why stop making it?

I've always used the PF61 where I had physical room to fit it. The drainback valve shouldn't matter as the filter sits upside down anyway and it's going to empty out like it can on an engine with a sideways orientation.

I've never had a problem using the 61s on any of my vehicles. My Vette, my Northstar V8s, my baby 4.0L Northstar in my Aurora, or my 4.2L Trailblazer. Now I use it in my 05 Escalade 6.0L.

If I remember corretly the PF61 has more filter surface area and that was the reason I chose to use it. The PF46 is a dinky filter, I'm kinda surprised it's used on such a large engine with larger oil capacity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoeR4065