brake problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

bsbladine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's only when I hit the brakes. And yes I have replaced the ball joints and rotors.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
What do the drums look like? First, drive the rig in a big parking lot, and use the parking brake to slow the vehicle. Is it smooth, or does it wobble/pulse/pull? Remove the lugs, pull off the wheel, the drum should come right off. Run your finger from the inside to the outside, feel for ridges. There shouldn't be any. Make sure the shoes still have some life, and you can't see the rivets holding the braking surface to the brake shoe. Report back. :) We'll get to the bottom of this.

RKitagawa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What up guys,

I noticed something odd today and wanted to see if any of you experienced this issue. Today I was driving on a perfectly flat/calm road when I needed to apply my brakes coming to a right hand turn (from 50 mph), just as I was about 30 ft from the turn, I hit a bump in the road that caused my brakes to quickly (slip second) skip feeling as though the brake released slowly and then gripped again. Have any of you felt this before and is this common?

All brakes are new with rotors. Breaking at high speeds are all good and nothing of this sort has ever happened. I can duplicate this feeling every time I hit a bump when applying my brakes.

Let me know guys, thanks

Last edited:

TahoeJim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just as I was about 30 ft from the turn, I hit a bump in the road that caused my brakes to quickly (slip second) skip feeling as though the brake released slowly and then gripped again. Have any of you felt this before and is this common?

That's your ABS kicking in because your tires are losing grip on the road with the bump. It certainly could be normal. Few things to check...what air pressure are you running in your tires compared to max inflation pressure and how old are your shocks?

If you're running higher pressure, your tires will "skip" more and triggering the ABS after a bump would happen more frequently. Worn shocks would amplify this too.

RKitagawa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TahoeJim

Thanks for the helpful feedback which makes sense now that I am answering your questions.

The psi on the tires is maxed at 40 and I am about 36-38 psi. The shocks are stock, which came with the car ever since I purchased it back in 01 (new). Just a little background, the wheels are 20 inch and I don't do any off-road.

Makes me feel more comfortable those could be the reasons. I will look into this further.

Thanks buddy

Last edited:

RKitagawa

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
TahoeJim,
The ABS issue I informed you about earlier (two posts above) was corrected after I replaced the loose pitman and idle arm. After 4 months running right, the ABS seems to be slipping again. Again, I've checked the shocks and they seem to be fine.

By the way the pot hole is just a drainage cap in the road (so very small). Got any other ideas? The tie rod, balance, alignment, ball joints, pitman and idle arm all checked out clean. What else can it be?

wigwag90

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dont know if thisis new or not, but have the rotors turned or buy some new ones and the problem will disapear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makivili

Latest posts