Chevrolet Suburban 3500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, as expected, she is living in the garage and going weeks between drives. Next week she goes to North Carolina for a camping trip. I put a battery tender on it and actually dropped the coin for a dual charger before realizing that I don't need it and a single charger on the battery by the firewall will charge both batteries. Duh.

I should also mention that after sitting for 10 days, the charger only ran for about 5 minutes before turning off, so this generation seems to have better power management when parked than the GMT900's do.

1724076058527.png

Sure is shiny, but now y'all can see how messy my garage is in the other bay. We need a shed in the backyard to store the lawnmower and other crap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Well, as expected, she is living in the garage and going weeks between drives. Next week she goes to North Carolina for a camping trip. I put a battery tender on it and actually dropped the coin for a dual charger before realizing that I don't need it and a single charger on the battery by the firewall will charge both batteries. Duh.

View attachment 435692

Sure is shiny, but now y'all can see how messy my garage is in the other bay. We need a shed in the backyard to store the lawnmower and other crap.
We just completed a 1700 mile round trip. Have racked up about 4K, almost 5k miles since purchase. I am fairly confident my shocks are complete trash at this point… lots of bobbing. I have an inquiry out to Bilstein for correct part number as the 5100 is not “technically” a fitted part. I have cross referenced what should fit, but waiting for confirmation.

Unfortunately, my garage is starting to look that way too…

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We just completed a 1700 mile round trip. Have racked up about 4K, almost 5k miles since purchase. I am fairly confident my shocks are complete trash at this point… lots of bobbing. I have an inquiry out to Bilstein for correct part number as the 5100 is not “technically” a fitted part. I have cross referenced what should fit, but waiting for confirmation.

Unfortunately, my garage is starting to look that way too…
Glad you had a great trip. Let me know what you learn, please! How many miles on yours now? I don't think you mentioned how many miles it had when you bought it. I'm asking because I'm wondering if the ride you're experiencing is mileage related, or if that's just how they are. Mine rides rougher than the 1500s with magride, but I expected that.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the hubba-bubba.
Please let us know if 4.10 makes you wonder if either of the Denalis would've been better off with 3.73?
Circling back on this to answer your question. So far, for my purposes of towing a camper, the 4.10 gears are absolutely perfect. And unloaded, I'm besting the fuel economy on my Denali's by 2-3 MPG in mixed driving. Didn't see that coming.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
1) Cruise control is your friend if you are trying to get decent mpg. We averaged about 15-15.5 all in all.
2) Mirrors suck. Going to look at budgeting for tow mirrors and buy the BoostAuto ones. Might be a little while… $800 is steep
3) Looking at replacing shocks but really frustrated because the shocks that are listed are not great but can be cross referenced to 2010 Chevy 3500. No company has come out and said “yes your cross reference is correct.”

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) Cruise control is your friend if you are trying to get decent mpg. We averaged about 15-15.5 all in all.
2) Mirrors suck. Going to look at budgeting for tow mirrors and buy the BoostAuto ones. Might be a little while… $800 is steep
3) Looking at replacing shocks but really frustrated because the shocks that are listed are not great but can be cross referenced to 2010 Chevy 3500. No company has come out and said “yes your cross reference is correct.”
I'm going to look into towing mirrors too, but these have been fine for me so far. I snagged them from my 2012 and they fit perfectly. Might be a good short-term solution:

Also, @intheburbs mentioned to me in a PM that the Billstien 4600s are the ones he runs on his 2500. Since the frame is the same as ours, I wonder if that might be the best choice?

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
I'm going to look into towing mirrors too, but these have been fine for me so far. I snagged them from my 2012 and they fit perfectly. Might be a good short-term solution:

Also, @intheburbs mentioned to me in a PM that the Billstien 4600s are the ones he runs on his 2500. Since the frame is the same as ours, I wonder if that might be the best choice?
So many of the cross reference also points to his gen of Suburban but I’m focusing on the 2010 3500 JUST in case there is any valving differences and would prefer to focus on another 1-ton unit.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So many of the cross reference also points to his gen of Suburban but I’m focusing on the 2010 3500 JUST in case there is any valving differences and would prefer to focus on another 1-ton unit.
From what I've read, the valving for the Yellow (4600 HD series) and the Aluminum (5100) is the same but the 5100 series are longer and technically are for lifted trucks.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
From what I've read, the valving for the Yellow (4600 HD series) and the Aluminum (5100) is the same but the 5100 series are longer and technically are for lifted trucks.
I have read that too… I have not seen it confirmed anywhere tho and the 4600 is also not technically “fitted” for our truck.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I get a chance I will post pics of the hitch I made for my Yukon XL using the center section from a B&W hitch meant for a Silverado 2500/3500. From B&W the rating was for 16,000 lb trailer weight and I think the tongue weight was 1600 pounds.
@calsdad, if you can find the time, I sure would love to see pictures of your custom hitch setup. Doing a little project planning for the fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate