Chevrolet Suburban 3500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It rides so much better now and a lot more planted. Crazy how much a difference they make.
I went with the RS 9000XL. I was pretty shocked that both fronts would not rebound/extend at all. Wonder if both were old stock or something to that effect?
Seems a plausible theory, but even old stock should last on the shelf almost indefinitely in a climate controlled warehouse.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Seems a plausible theory, but even old stock should last on the shelf almost indefinitely in a climate controlled warehouse.
One would think… but if I get a second set that do not rebound by themselves I will call Rancho to ensure this is how the product is supposed to be. The fronts are different than the backs in the sense the red boot is molded onto the fronts vs the buyer has to install the rear boot. So maybe there is something intrinsically different.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't take this as absolute truth but I think my Rancho 9000XLs didn't expand either. Having been through 3 or 4 sets of them you'd think I would remember for sure but I don't. They all definitely didn't expand when I pulled them off for not working anymore.

If they ARE supposed to expand then I feel incredibly validated about my pre-purchase advice on them :rotflmao:

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Don't take this as absolute truth but I think my Rancho 9000XLs didn't expand either. Having been through 3 or 4 sets of them you'd think I would remember for sure but I don't. They all definitely didn't expand when I pulled them off for not working anymore.

If they ARE supposed to expand then I feel incredibly validated about my pre-purchase advice on them :rotflmao:
Your advise MAY be valid and I will confirm next week when the replacement fronts arrive. The rears were great tho and I cannot believe how much difference they make. Haven’t messed with settings yet, but there is a HUGE difference on setting 1 vs 9 just manually compressing them prior to install.
I will be fully taking advantage of their warranty until I can afford Kings or something similar.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Doing a little wheel shopping and have landed on these as a good complement for the Tungsten Gray paint color of the truck. Probably won't order until the spring so I can start the 2025 towing season with a fresh set of tires. Amazingly, the tires that came on it have zero dry rot or blemishes of any kind, despite having mid-2017 date codes. I credit the climate controlled storage the truck was in. For tires, I will likely go with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S 2 in the LT265/70R18 size. It's about 1" bigger in diameter than the factory tires, but should still clear without issue. There are way more options than in the 265/65R18 size.

View attachment 437465
View attachment 437466
Have you put the new tires on yet? How do you account for the Speedo being off? Is there a way to correct this with any sort of tuner?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you put the new tires on yet? How do you account for the Speedo being off? Is there a way to correct this with any sort of tuner?
Thanks for asking. She’s been parked in the garage for the last couple of weeks. Next camping trip is in mid October so I have some time. We’re in the process of selling a house, so I’d rather wait to have the cash from the sale to buy new wheels and tires at the same time. I could put them on a credit card, or dip into savings, but I’d rather do neither if at all possible. I’ll update the thread when I place the order for whatever I decide to go with.

And yes, that concur with the idea of using HP tuners to do it. If there’s a 4 x 4 shop near you, they likely have everything needed to do it for you as well.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Thanks for asking. She’s been parked in the garage for the last couple of weeks. Next camping trip is in mid October so I have some time. We’re in the process of selling a house, so I’d rather wait to have the cash from the sale to buy new wheels and tires at the same time. I could put them on a credit card, or dip into savings, but I’d rather do neither if at all possible. I’ll update the thread when I place the order for whatever I decide to go with.

And yes, that concur with the idea of using HP tuners to do it. If there’s a 4 x 4 shop near you, they likely have everything needed to do it for you as well.
I was not sure if there were options for tuners to do that but good to know!

Good luck with your sale and hope it is super fast AND you get well over list price. Can’t wait to hear about the update.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was not sure if there were options for tuners to do that but good to know!

Good luck with your sale and hope it is super fast AND you get well over list price. Can’t wait to hear about the update.
Thank you, my friend! The offer was about $18K under asking price and has a contingency sale, so it's not ideal but we're going to roll with it while accepting back-up offers. Years ago, my father told me that when you're selling something, the first offer you receive will likely be the best offer you're going to get. He's been proven right many, many times in my life. And, with interest rates dropping, I'm confident someone else will come along if this one doesn't work out. It's a great house - a 1936 craftsman that was gutted and professionally remodeled in 2014. And it's in a desirable neighborhood. Also, thankfully it's not a distress sale situation so we can afford to wait if need be.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Thank you, my friend! The offer was about $18K under asking price and has a contingency sale, so it's not ideal but we're going to roll with it while accepting back-up offers. Years ago, my father told me that when you're selling something, the first offer you receive will likely be the best offer you're going to get. He's been proven right many, many times in my life. And, with interest rates dropping, I'm confident someone else will come along if this one doesn't work out. It's a great house - a 1936 craftsman that was gutted and professionally remodeled in 2014. And it's in a desirable neighborhood. Also, thankfully it's not a distress sale situation so we can afford to wait if need be.
I should rename this thread. We cover Suburban 3500 information and life advice here. I definitely don’t disagree with you ol’ man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnaolo