DIY: High Flow Stock Airbox (Swiss Cheese Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
I'm going to have to take some better pictures..
I didn't take any rubber out
I want to cut another hole in the bottom or on the fender side

it definitely does what its supposed to and it passes visual on SMOG if that matters at all lol

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Seems like this is the way to go if you spend much time idling. The CAI just gets hot which actually decreases performance.

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
no i was asking the hoe92 cause the pics show his holes on the side of the air box facing the front, i was originally going to do mine there as well and remove the rubber behind the headlight, and ya i am the one that cut the hole in my tray and put my hole on the bottom, how did you do yours? pics

i didn't take any pics because it's basically the same as the pics already posted. But my tray already had a factory cut out in it. I didn't need to cut the try. I took off the box and saw the hole. It was about a 6x4 hole. Not sure why mine was like that versus yours. Maybe they changed it up for my year. I have an 06.

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
added a air tube

so i have added to mine by removing the baffled plastic from the maf to the tb and replaced it with flex tin hose for furnace vents it came in like a 3ft chunk 4" in diameter i then used hose clamps to hold it on, works well and i think it looks not to shabby

projects009.jpg

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
how thick is that stuff highrollin?
looks pretty good I'd shoot it with some rubberized undercoating or something to make it a little more rigid and make it black :)

TunasTwins

2005 Tahoe LS
Reaction score
I might try this tomorrow. Hopefully that furnace tubing doesnt heatsoak vs PCV/plastic. But I guess all the CAI's will do the same. I've been leaning towards a drop in K&N based on dynographs from Blackbear.

OP
OP
ypsetihw

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been leaning towards a drop in K&N based on dynographs from Blackbear.

assuming that the heater/furnace pipe holds, it will only add to it. I would do the swiss cheese AND the k&n drop in. after that, the furnace pipe will only help more.

I'm very interested to see if that furnace pipe holds up or if it gets crushed/deformed, or something else. in theory though it sounds like it looks like it works great. :rocking:

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
hey ya its super rigid, you have to bend it and it holds its form and i have been checking it all day today to make sure still good and its perfect not to mention it feels cooler to the touch to me thn the plastic seemed to get, i like the coating it idea i think i might do that for the colour change plus couldnt hurt to safety seal it

oh and it sounds better and has a little more get up and go, a lot deeper it was the perfect accent to the swiss cheese and magnaflow

Last edited:
OP
OP
ypsetihw

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the furnace pipe will really help at high RPMs, it should stabilize the flow and really let it breathe on the highway

good job :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts