DIY: High Flow Stock Airbox (Swiss Cheese Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just did mine. Did 2 square cuts on both sides. Dont really notice much gain, but if I get a drop in im sure the gain will be way more noticable.

blackbeast03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
highrollin what did you use to go from the flex tin hose to the tb? as in an elbow or something?

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
highrollin what did you use to go from the flex tin hose to the tb? as in an elbow or something?

i just used the tube i curved it, it is flexible, and at the tb side it fit perfect but at the maf side it is a little bigger so i duct taped it where i put the hose clamp incase it tore the vent, i had to get two 5" hose clamps aswell, i plan on coating it with a rhino liner next days off

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread. I did something similar to my 2001 Camaro a couple years ago. So this thread convinced me to go for the 02 Tahoe. I have to say thanks to the guy who figured out that the plate under the filter housing had open space under it. I took some photos of what I did and figured I would share them with ya'll. Let me know what you think.

Since you all know the basics I will spare the play by play of taking the housing and the plate off.

After I got the lower filter housing and the plate that it sits on off, I got a piece of card board and measured the size of hole I wanted to cut by sitting the housing on the plate for a reference. I scratched the outline of the cardboard onto the plate, then used a grinder and cut it out.:893Chainsaw-Smilie- It was really pretty easy to do. Only took about 15 min to cut the hole out.
IMAGE_103.jpg

I then placed the plate onto the lower filter housing and scratched the bottom of the housing as a guide for that cut. Just made it easier to ensure that the hole would be lined up.Then I used the grinder to cut the housing. The housing was cut in a couple min.
IMAGE_106.jpg

I am in the middle of a frame off restoration of a 1979 CJ7 so I had the old hood vent. I figured it would be good to weld into the hole in the plate to reduce any leaves or other debris that might try and get in there. You could use anything. I used the cardboard template as a guide to cut the hood vent. took about 5 min.
IMAGE_104.jpg

Well it's been round 15 years since I have welded and I have been needing to practice but never got around to it. So I didn't take any pics of my shotty weld job. Really though it only took about 15 min to weld up and I could have cleaned it up better but I was getting impatient.:secret: I grabbed a can of flat black paint and put a couple coats on to keep the rust out.
IMAGE_107.jpg

After the paint dried it was time to reinstall. A little more time cleaning the shotty weld job would have made it look better. I can always go back and fix it later after I practice a bit more. Here are the rest of the pics. I think it looks really good with the housing on.
IMAGE_108.jpg
IMAGE_110.jpg

It only took about 1hr and 20min to do, not too bad! Probably going to add some holes on the back side of the lower housing for a bit more air. I can tell difference in response and it should get much better when I get the K&N drop in in there. :driver:

Last edited:

PUGLIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it worked great! The K&N drop in will help more too. But I can still feel the difference.

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the many reasons why I love this place. This is a mod that even my "non-mechanical, can make a mess of the easiest job" ass can do. Thanks for the pics and step by step instructions. SWEET!

rich5368

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished the "highrollin" swiss cheese flexible dryer vent intake and I have to say so far I'm pretty impressed. Throttle response is better. Don't have a very noticeable growl. Doesn't seem to heat soak any worse than the stock one did. I'll see how it goes for a couple days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts