EPA Fuel Economy Estimates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
StevenFromTexas

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
How do you set your IDC to "instant mileage" and keep it in constant V4 mode?

The Driver Information Center (DIC) has a Trip/Fuel button setting that allows you to see whether the vehicle is operating in V4 or V8 mode at any particular moment. Taking it easy on acceleration and being consistent with your foot on the gas pedal greatly increases the chances the vehicle will be in V4 mode, and your gas mileage per gallon will increase. Watching the current fuel economy and V4/V8 mode the vehicle is in is helping me get better mileage per gallon . . . provided no one is behind me. :)

ec07z71

Reaction score
speaking of v4 mode, is there a reason why it doesn't switch to v4 when stopped in D or idling in park? (my guess is it's a voltage thing) - thanks

FMBL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We have only had the 07 since November 2011. It was getting mid to high 12 mpg. after reading several threads this last week I filled up with 89 instead of 87. With no real change in driving city/ hwy mix we were at 14.9. I filled up again with 89 to see if it stays in the same mpg area. At 15 gallons it was about $2.50 more to fill up. The way I see it I saved about $5. Always looking for ways to get better mpg without sacrificing reality.

RydnDrty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can usually pull 20mpg plus on a long trip on the highway at 70mph....set the cruise and let it go.....still running stock rims and tires though....I'm sure that will go down when i get 22's or 24's....

OP
OP
StevenFromTexas

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
I was looking at an 02-29-12 section of The Wall Street Journal this evening, and the "Me & My Car" column mentioned that the Environmental Protection Agency bases its fuel economy ratings on 100% gasoline tests. Trouble is, most people have to buy that 10% ethanol blend crap that the federal government forces us to purchase, and we take a 3% to 4% hit on our gas mileage because of it.

So the government goons test under false conditions using gas damn-near no one can purchase, and then lie about estimates. :thumbsdown:

Big Bad Allis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at an 02-29-12 section of The Wall Street Journal this evening, and the "Me & My Car" column mentioned that the Environmental Protection Agency bases its fuel economy ratings on 100% gasoline tests. Trouble is, most people have to buy that 10% ethanol blend crap that the federal government forces us to purchase, and we take a 3% to 4% hit on our gas mileage because of it.

So the government goons test under false conditions using gas damn-near no one can purchase, and then lie about estimates. :thumbsdown:

Good point. Forgot all about the Ethanol reduced fuel economy.

SCMODS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
According to my trusty DIC, my first week with this 2011 LTZ I'm getting 16.8 combined. Probably 50/50 highway/city. I came out of a 4 speed 2008 Z71 which was constantly in the 14s so I'm thrilled to nearly get 17mpg around town in a 5,700 lbs land yacht.

There is no question that higher levels of ethanol content will cause reduced mileage.

I loved the earlier comment about the EPA having an ownership interest in GM. The other day a buddy asked me how I liked my new Geithner Motors vehicle.

Good point. Forgot all about the Ethanol reduced fuel economy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian