External Transmission Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to put this on immediately after I did a trans service. Currently I do them every 20,000 miles and cut open the internal filter, so everything inside is clean and cherry red. My trans man won't be able to service the trans as a side job for about a month. What cheap filter should I use in the mean time just to hold me over until I service it? Don't want to use the wix 51269 just yet. A motorcraft FL1A from my old Ford Galaxie screws on. Can I use that? My main concern is that I don't want the filter to clog, or have the wrong one and impede flow. Thanks.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, got her all done. I used the same derale kit as John. I had plenty of transmission hose from some old Valley tranny cooler kits. I mounted my adaptor plate to the support bracket with an L bracket from Home Depot. One thing I did different though, is I cut the top return line to the external cooler. I flared the metal line coming out of the radiator. (I guess I could have unscrewed the snap clip fitting and screwed in a barbed fitting instead, but because the radiator is ten years old, I decided not to mess with it.) The other part of the line coming out of the cooler, I cut it and put a compression fitting on it to get the bend to angle back toward the remote filter. I then flared that line and installed the rubber hose. All, in all looks pretty good. Wish I could post picts, but don't know how. My thanks to John for the help and inspiration to get er done!

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't. In fact your adding more tubing which in turn might aid in cooling.

I have not tried this myself but have read a lot about it. A lot of diesel guys use them and swear by it.

I've had this mod for about a week and in summer temps of 96* I've noticed about a 10* drop in my trans temps; this according to my denali gage cluster I installed with the trans temp gage.

SophosEMT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome info on this topic! I'm gearing up for an install this weekend and had a couple questions to throw out.

1st: Before I do the external filter install I plan to drop the pan & replace the factory filter. I got to thinking, the one item holding me back from never having to drop the pan again for service was the magnet on the transmission pan. So I ordered a FilterMag to install on the external filter.

What do you think about removing the internal pan magnet and just having the larger magnet on the external filter?

2nd: I noticed some installs on the return hose (not knocking anybody, it obviously works fine that way). I planned on going that route before reading the instructions on both Perma-cool and Derale systems that both instruct using the supply line only. Thought it was odd they say strictly only ONE correct way to install... I was thinking about calling to find out the reason but wanted to see if you guys had any input.

From Perma-cool

"Note: There is only ONE correct way to install this product. The fluid filter needs to be installed on the pressure (supply) line of the cooling circuit between the transmission and the factory cooler, see illustration D. "

Papablunt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What do you think about removing the internal pan magnet and just having the larger magnet on the external filter

Why have two headlights when you can get by with one? It seems that you'd be much better off having redundant magnets rather than simply replacing the internal one with external.

SophosEMT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Papablunt for the reply. I completed the install this past Sunday and decided upon inspection and reflection to just remove the internal magnet. While it's certainly better then nothing, I felt the addition of 2 external magnets sandwiching the filter were far superior to the factory internal magnet that was so weak it couldn't suspend a screwdriver or deep socket. Additionally never having to drop the pan again barring a major failure, was a big plus for me.

I used the Filtermag SS-365 & PRM-10678 remote filter kit from Summit racing. Used 13 quarts of Amsoil ATL transmission fluid for a complete flush of the old fluid. Installed on the supply line from transmission to the radiator, it was the lower connection on my radiator. Should be set for a long time!

There are 2 magnets in this photo, one is on the back just like the one you see on the front. Will be swapping the filter out for a AMSOIL EAO15 when the kits included filter needs changing in 1 year.
transmission%20filter%20and%20filtermag.jpg

exhaust%20strap.jpg
Also found the strap trick worked well to lower the exhaust just enough to sneak the pan out. Just don't put to much pressure.

Papablunt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks great, SophosEMT! I like the idea of the magnets you used. Is there a better deal that I'm not seeing, or did you end up paying $100+ for the magnets?

SophosEMT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Summit had them for $89. They do have the 1 magnet option for $52.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome info on this topic! I'm gearing up for an install this weekend and had a couple questions to throw out.

1st: Before I do the external filter install I plan to drop the pan & replace the factory filter. I got to thinking, the one item holding me back from never having to drop the pan again for service was the magnet on the transmission pan. So I ordered a FilterMag to install on the external filter.

What do you think about removing the internal pan magnet and just having the larger magnet on the external filter?

2nd: I noticed some installs on the return hose (not knocking anybody, it obviously works fine that way). I planned on going that route before reading the instructions on both Perma-cool and Derale systems that both instruct using the supply line only. Thought it was odd they say strictly only ONE correct way to install... I was thinking about calling to find out the reason but wanted to see if you guys had any input.

From Perma-cool

"Note: There is only ONE correct way to install this product. The fluid filter needs to be installed on the pressure (supply) line of the cooling circuit between the transmission and the factory cooler, see illustration D. "
I think I figured out why. After discussing this with heavymechanic2 on youtube, excellent channel by the way, we came to the conclusion that it is advised to plum into the supply line, reason being, that if for some reason the filter got clogged it would send too much pressure into the radiator potentially causing an internal leak. The chance of this happening is very slim, because the filter has a pop off valve, and if you did this mod, you believe in maintenance and would probably replace the filter long before it happens. Pluming into the supply line will keep the pressure in the steel tranny line and the trans itself.