Extra fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive fast on the highway. With a speed of about 105-110 mph and I have a fuel consumption of 11 mpg. So the range on one tank is less than 300 miles
Ok, fair point, but guessing the OP isn’t driving at a constant 110-115 MPH. And no US car maker sizes the fuel tank for continuous operation at those speeds.

OP
OP
Vladimir2306

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can drive that fast on Russian roads?!
Yes, we have such an opportunity. Here, for example, is a photo from my last trip. I drove at night in the mode of 160-170 kmh, for 1100 km

Attachments

• 2024-06-28 05-26-59.JPG
    2024-06-28 05-26-59.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Vladimir2306

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, fair point, but guessing the OP isn’t driving at a constant 110-115 MPH. And no US car maker sizes the fuel tank for continuous operation at those speeds.
Why is it not calculated? Who said that? Where is it written? I have a lot of such trips, in this mode. For example, I went in March 2024. The average speed is 155 km/h, which is equal to 97 mph, for more than 4 hours.
And the driving mode for these 4 hours, almost all the time 170 kmh on cruise control. Which is equal to 106 mph.

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_160717.jpg
    IMG_20240320_160717.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is it not calculated? Who said that? Where is it written? I have a lot of such trips, in this mode. For example, I went in March 2024. The average speed is 155 km/h, which is equal to 97 mph, for more than 4 hours.
And the driving mode for these 4 hours, almost all the time 170 kmh on cruise control. Which is equal to 106 mph.
Because, the majority of these vehicles are sold in USA, and speed limits are set between 60 and 80 MPH, and I think only South Dakota has 80. So GM shoots for the “target market” range of around 350 miles..they have to trade off the required CAFE fuel economy requirements (weight) with the design objectives, and I am certain that GM did not design this vehicle for meeting 350 mile range at 110 MPH…it just isn’t the design point for the big market of the US…

OP
OP
Vladimir2306

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because, the majority of these vehicles are sold in USA, and speed limits are set between 60 and 80 MPH, and I think only South Dakota has 80. So GM shoots for the “target market” range of around 350 miles..they have to trade off the required CAFE fuel economy requirements (weight) with the design objectives, and I am certain that GM did not design this vehicle for meeting 350 mile range at 110 MPH…it just isn’t the design point for the big market of the US…
Wait, he strives and is not a maker. These are two different meanings))) it is clear that the Yukon has the most economical speed of 55-60 miles per hour. At this speed, it can travel about 800 miles on a single tank. But it has no problem driving for hours at 105-110 miles per hour, without any problems. It does not overheat, its parts do not fall off. It just drives and that's it) but you can't fool physics, drive fast in any car, get ready to refuel often))) and with a tank of 28 gallons, it turns out that the tank is enough for 2.5 hours of driving. This means that almost every 1.5-2 hours you need to stop at a gas station. And if for pickups there are tanks of increased size up to 60 gallons, then for the gasoline Yukon there is no such thing. Even the tank from the previous XL 120 liters would be a little better than the current 28 galons))
For example, Chinese hybrids such as Li or Voyah, they are not designed for a trip at a speed of more than 130 km/h. Their battery begins to discharge insanely, and the generator does not have time to charge it. Overheating the clutch. And in these cars, after 2-3 hours of driving on the highway at a speed of more than 130 km, this clutch breaks, the repair of which is not cheap

DontTaseMeBro

Reaction score
Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming all have 80mph speed limits.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, he strives and is not a maker. These are two different meanings))) it is clear that the Yukon has the most economical speed of 55-60 miles per hour. At this speed, it can travel about 800 miles on a single tank. But it has no problem driving for hours at 105-110 miles per hour, without any problems. It does not overheat, its parts do not fall off. It just drives and that's it) but you can't fool physics, drive fast in any car, get ready to refuel often))) and with a tank of 28 gallons, it turns out that the tank is enough for 2.5 hours of driving. This means that almost every 1.5-2 hours you need to stop at a gas station. And if for pickups there are tanks of increased size up to 60 gallons, then for the gasoline Yukon there is no such thing. Even the tank from the previous XL 120 liters would be a little better than the current 28 galons))
For example, Chinese hybrids such as Li or Voyah, they are not designed for a trip at a speed of more than 130 km/h. Their battery begins to discharge insanely, and the generator does not have time to charge it. Overheating the clutch. And in these cars, after 2-3 hours of driving on the highway at a speed of more than 130 km, this clutch breaks, the repair of which is not cheap
the good part about running mining her at those speeds is it probably keeps the Dynamic Fuel Management from turning off any cylinders!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYBRD