fed up with this thing (searched)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joyride

Reaction score
new here, i searched for 10 minutes or so and read a few threads to diagnose my mom's 99 4wd yukon. The problem is a couple weeks ago, her battery she's had in in it for about a year and a half, died randomly. It was under warranty, so we had it exchanged 2 weeks and 2 days ago. lol...Well this morning it wouldn't start again. Battery voltage was at 2.30 volts. Pathetic. This thing is bone stock besides an ugly ass aftermarket cd player and some speakers, just normal speakers, no subs or amps.

The starter is about a year old, long story but we replaced that ourself. The alternator is good, tested 3 times today, and it has battery voltage at idle, and runs up to 14.5 under 1500 rpm.

The grounds seem fine, I even cleaned a few back under the rear bumper for the hell of it. I can't find any shorts, and the grounds in the engine bay seem fine. Behind the passenger head, and on the block under the pulleys, passenger side.

A few things to note though, her driver side door latch broke, so I replaced it. That's the latest thing we've done so thinking maybe there was a short, possibly I pulled on a wire or one got caught up somewhere...I pulled the door panel off earlier today, and all the wiring seems fine. Then that's when I cleaned the grounds. Also, about a week ago at night when my mom had came home, her dash lights and taillights didn't work..So I pulled the fuses looking at random ones and I don't remember which, but it was blown. Replaced it and the lights came back on and worked fine.

THat's what led me to cleaning up the grounds near the taillights thinking it had a bad ground but I don't know, it could be too early to tell if that helped at all??

Also, the alternator to battery wire has no resistance so that's good, haven't checked the battery ground or the starter wire but I will I guess. Other than that, I don't really know wtf to check. The starter, battery, and alternator are all relatively new.

On my search I read something about the BCM leaving power on to something and draining the battery when the car is parked and not running? Are there any service bulletins at the GMC/Chevy dealerships for common problems with these things? I called a starter and alternator place and the guy I talked to, said one of his neighbors has a Yukon and kinda had the same issues, battery dying and what not. He said that his AC relay went bad or something?? I don't know exactly what that would have to do with the battery, but I pulled the relay out for the time being just to be safe. Any thoughts on that??

Sorry for the novel but I'm highly frustrated. I'd appreciate any help, thanks in advance!!

edit : ALSO, i forgot...the ac/heater only work on one preset, i think it's either #3 or #4 or whatever....I was told by someone once that the blower resistor or something like that gets corroded and needs replaced. Is that possibly the culprit maybe? And at the same time, possibly what the guy at the starter shop was trying to explain but couldn't remember exactly? Thanks again!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
:welcome:

Mark by amperage all the fuses in under hood block and remove them and relays. With the battery charged use an ammeter rated for at least ten amps and put the probe terminals on each set of fuse terminals and look for amperage draw. With doors closed and key removed. Start with that.

Oh and also make sure there is no bulb in the hood light and make sure the one on the firewall is turned off as well.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:15 PM ----------

Unless your blower fan is running with the key removed worry about that after dealing with the dead battery issue.

Uderro1

Reaction score
I had a similar problem where I had to jump my 96 hoe all the time. It was a bad starter. It had to much draw and drained the battery while it was sitting. I know if the diodes on the voltage regulator go bad the allow a back feed from the battery and drain the battery.

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
Sorry I was gone all day after posting. Thank you for your responses already.

Sunlitcomet, we can give that a try after I get off work tomorrow.
Uderro1, we do have a fairly new starter but that doesn't mean it's not defective or bad, we'll look into that some more also. Also, the voltage regulator is in the alternator right? I know on my dads 69 camaro it was on the firewall until we went to a 1 wire alternator but I wanna say these new rides have them in the alternators right? Our alternator passed 3 straight tests at Schucks today, but the guy at the starter shop told us to bring it in for further more extensive testing under load and what not, so maybe we should still do that.
Ezdaar, we don't have onstar. :) lol

Thanks again for the help so far. Hopefully we'll figure something out soon! :)

Also, about the starter issue. It is a replacement remann'ed one from the starter shop but, if it went bad wouldn't it just not work or is there more to it than that where it would create a draw?

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Regulator is built in to alternator. The starter would have to something touching the solenoid contact to body ground for these trucks. And you can buy Onstar for the OBS trucks now.:)

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
Thanks, I thought it was. I mean I guess we can take the alternator off again and have it tested more extensively at the starter shop. My dad may not be as inclined to want me to take the starter off though as we've had issues with it before. It wasn't starting after we had replaced a flexplate because it chewed a tooth off of the original and kept walking on us until we finally fixed that issue. Right now it starts fine but sounds a little rough so I'm not sure if my dad would like me messing with it. lol...We'll see though.

bsamoul

Hoe Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well instead of taking the starter off, just look at the wiring and make sure something isn't touching something it's not supposed to. Also, my visor lights killed my battery a few times..the cloth things around the visors got so stretched out, I folded them in the visor lights but a couple times they were open just enough to keep the lights on, and it's hard to notice unless it's dark.

OP
OP
J

joyride

Reaction score
Thank you! I will do just that and see what I come up with. Also will check the sun visors, lol. I wish it were that easy but shit, with our luck I just don't know. Thanks for the tip though, will definitely look into anything anyone has to say. :)

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Also, my visor lights killed my battery a few times..the cloth things around the visors got so stretched out, I folded them in the visor lights but a couple times they were open just enough to keep the lights on, and it's hard to notice unless it's dark.

Good call I forgot that those have a direct battery feed with nothing but a fuse between them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100